Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a new ligature. I currently use a Rovner Dark on my alto, but I tried a Vandoren Optimum the other day in my local music store. It really helped my response--and tone to some extent. I also loved the quick tightening mechanism. I didn't get a chance to try any different plates and would be interested in hearing any opinions on those.

I noticed the new M|O ligature. It incorporates the Optimum's tightening system, and I saw a video with Claude Delangle using it on Vandoren's site. I wanted to know if anyone on here had any real experience with it. I wanted to know if I was any more responsive than the Optimum.

I have known about the Klassik for a while but haven't found many reviews or comments on it. I also wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it. I have been very intrigued by the idea of a string ligature.

The website for the Quatuor Habanera lists the BG Tradition as the ligature of choice for each of the members in their biographies. I have found people raving about this one, but don't know what's so special about it.

The one's interest me the most are the Bay ligatures. Unfortunately, I can't find any place that has a selection of them. WWBW has one, but Bay's website shows many different types. I want to know if anyone has any experience with them. Also, what is the difference between the ones with a piece of "cloth" between the metal and the reed. How does this impact my response and tone? One of my influences, an incredible clarinet player who teaches in my school system, uses a Bay, but I haven't found any time to ask her how she feels about them.

If anyone could provide any information or anecdotes about these ligatures, it would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to shell out $60+ on something not proven. Thank you for any help you could be.
:treble::line0::space0::line1::space1::line2::space2::line3::space3::line3::space2::line2::space1::line1::space0::line0:

"Scales make the world go round."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would also need it for primarily classical music.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any information on the Marc Jean ligatures and Ishimori ligatures would also be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vandoren masters , bonade inverted - all great ones
Why? What do you like about them? I've heard of Bonade but don't know much about them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have found both to really free up my playing and really let the life come out of the mouthpiece/reed. They are fairly inexpensive. (although watch for vandoren knock-offs on ebay) I like them both equally just seems one may work better than the other depending on the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a Selmer S80 C* on my alto. I would assume they'd fit it.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,288 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are a very good fit on my mouthpiece, hold the reed very nicely.

Improve response compared to what? They definitely improve response over a ligature that doesn't fit so well.

I haven't tried bending it, probably not such a good idea to try.
Do they improve response compared to my Rovner Dark? I have heard numerous reviews of metal ligs bending easily--most notable Charles Bays. I had an experience where my metal Selmer ligature bent irreparably while on my tenor mouthpiece in my case.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Cody - My apparently young new enthusiastic sax player. You are full of questions (which is great!!) I highly recommend that you take your current sax and mouthpiece set up to your local music store and try out as many ligatures as you can find there. You will then have alot of these questions answered. As with everything about equipment, it is all very personal and all we can give you is guidelines and personal experience. Trying first hand for yourself is the ultimate test. Take all of the suggestions you find, then go try them. You'll find what works with you.

Good luck - in your ligature search!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Marc Jean ligs are made to order for the specific mouthpiece, which is why they fit well.

The website for the Quatuor Habanera lists the BG Tradition as the ligature of choice for each of the members in their biographies. I have found people raving about this one, but don't know what's so special about it.
Why does a ligature have to be special? It's a quality lig that seats the reed nicely in place, and isn't fussy with reeds, easy to play on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marc Jean ligs are made to order for the specific mouthpiece, which is why they fit well.

Why does a ligature have to be special? It's a quality lig that seats the reed nicely in place, and isn't fussy with reeds, easy to play on.
I didn't mean the special thing to be patronizing or anything? I didn't know if it held the reed in place better or was even less fussy with reeds. I just wanted to know if there was something that set them a step above.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have to buy Marc Jean ligatures directly from his website or can you get them somewhere else?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about Ishimori ligatures? Where do you buy those?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The best ligature I've ever played on is a solid silver Ishimori, with the gold plated Ishimori a close second.
But, because I don't have $150-300 to spend on a lig, I don't own one.

I used a BG Tradition for about 4 years, but within the last few months have switch to a Rico H Lig.
Awesome ligatures for a great price. (Can't g wrong with a BG either though.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The best ligature I've ever played on is a solid silver Ishimori, with the gold plated Ishimori a close second.
But, because I don't have $150-300 to spend on a lig, I don't own one.

I used a BG Tradition for about 4 years, but within the last few months have switch to a Rico H Lig.
Awesome ligatures for a great price. (Can't g wrong with a BG either though.)
Was the Ishimori worth the price? Was it that much better? Is there any real big difference between the BG and Rico? Did the BG have better response or tone? How about the Ishimori?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,288 Posts
Do they improve response compared to my Rovner Dark?
If a ligature fits, that's all you need the response will be as good as you can expect. If it doesn't fit, ie doesn't hold the reed properly, then the response will not be as good.

Also, what mouthpiece do you use that they fit on well?
I'm talking about my mouthpiece, ie the one I make, which is a PPT. This is a tenor, but as Marc Jjean ligs are made to fit whatever mouthpiece, you can be sure it will be great for your alto.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts