Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know if the curved pipe at the top of a bari that the neck fits into
has a name but the music store that I paid $275 to was supposed to break the solder and remove several rather nasty dents.When I received it from
California (I am in Hawaii)the dents were still there.One of them is on the
sharp curve before the neck receiver.Can a dent in this kind of place be removed?The pipe in that area is sort of distorted due to the place the dent is in.I have a feeling I was had as the technician never informed me that
he did not do the removal.Also,When I tried to play the bari after receiving it the only note that will play is a stuffy G.I have to now ship the horn to Honolulu as we do not have a tech here on Maui.There are other issues I have had with this store before.I am waiting for the Honolulu technician
to let me know if the work I paid for was done or not.Is it alright on S.O.T.W.to name a place of business if one has good info that they have been amiss?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I cant help you with the rest, but the dents can definitely be taken care of. My Martin bari wasnt in the best of shape when I got it to say the least. My tech took apart the crook at the solder and fixed the dents, just like you mentioned. Overall it wasnt to big of a deal he said.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I call that part of a bari sax the top coil, though I've heard it called the top loop and upper bow.

But I (and most UK players i know of) generally call any metal tubing that connects the mouthpiece/reed to the top of any single or double reed woodwind instrument a crook (and also the pipe on larger recorders). Flutes have curved headjoints.

Though the standard US terminology for crook is 'neck' for single reeds (lower clarinets and saxes) and 'bocal' for double reeds (larger oboes, heckelphone, bassoons and sarrusophones).

·
1,863 Posts
I call the top part on the bari the upper bow but have also heard it called the pig tail!

You have definately been "had" if you asked and paid for the top bow to be desoldered and have the dents removed and they're still there.

I think you are also going about this in the right way i.e. getting another tech to check the work over if you are not satisfied.

fingers crossed you get this resolved.

·
1,404 Posts
lamar reeves said:
Is it alright on S.O.T.W.to name a place of business if one has good info that they have been amiss?
As far as I know there are no rules about this on SOTW. I suggest, you avoid posting negative comments about a technicians work on the internet. Simply not recommending a tech and reccomending others is probably enough. However, that is my opinion, as I said there are no rules that I know of about this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts