Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
Joined
·
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, and surprisingly didn't come up with anything...

I'm curious what experienced players / teachers would say are some of the most significant, common, and/or disastrous bad habits that players may develop and should consciously avoid.

Off the top of my head, I can think of things like biting and "throat tonguing", or not practicing with a metronome, but those are pretty basic, and I'm sure there's many others that I myself fall prey to - could be embochoure-related, fingering habits, practice routines, whatever...

Thoughts?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,994 Posts
Lifting the finger too high off of the keys while playing, changing the embouchure to improperly coddle the upper and lower extreme ranges of the instrument, and the biggest one you've already mentioned, biting!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,313 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
...changing the embouchure to improperly coddle the upper and lower extreme ranges of the instrument
I keep reading that, and my only response is, if I want to play those notes, that's what I have to do. Maybe it works with a C* for classical playing, but on a 7* or 8? I just can't do it.

So, while feeling guilty about it, I watched a Dexter Gordon video with a lot of closeups of Dexter playing and guess what? His chops are all over the piece when he changes pitch. If it works for Dexter...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,994 Posts
Check out someone like Parker. Jaw is fixed in place like a bear trap throughout the range. Just because an esteemed "lion" learned to cope with an unorthodox compromise doesn't mean it is the best way to go.

Still, if it works for you and you're happy, cheers.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
26,705 Posts
Al Stevens said:
...I watched a Dexter Gordon video with a lot of closeups of Dexter playing and guess what? His chops are all over the piece when he changes pitch.
Just curious, but was he on the 10M or the VI in that video?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
Joined
·
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In "Round Midnight" Dex is playing on a VI, and you can see him move his emb all over the place as well (plus that crazy lig placement!).

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
Lifting the finger too high off of the keys while playing, changing the embouchure to improperly coddle the upper and lower extreme ranges of the instrument, and the biggest one you've already mentioned, biting!
I fear I am the epitome of what not to do.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top