Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who are the top jazz alto players today (or up and coming players) who I should be listening to and going to see play live?
Thanks gang!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Sorry, I don't know who the current Tower Of Power alto players are. Perhaps you could check their last cd or website:bluewink::scratch::dontknow:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Lauren Stillman
Lee Konitz
Bob Mover

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Eric Marienthal
David Sanborn
Macro Parker
Gerald Albright
Jesse Davis
Jay Beckenstein (Spyro Gyra)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
Dick Oatts and Kenny Garrett come first to my mind as established top altoists. (By the way, I don't put Phil Woods into this category -- for me he's beyond this range, not Top Altoist but more like Alto Deity...)

Other guys I'm loving: Will Vinson!! Check out this (devastating!) YouTube to see what he's about and if he's for you (just listen to the audio -- watching the video can induce a seizure):

Somebody way off the radar screen who I love is Rémi Bolduc in Montreal; check out this video with Jerry Bergonzi(!!):

Jaleel Shaw is an occasional SOTWer; here he is on All The Things You Are:

Joris Roelofs in the Netherlands is terrifying:

There are so many that I'm forgetting it's a crime!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
David Binney
Vincent Herring
Will Vinson
Sherman Irby
Kacey Knudsen
Kenny Garrett
Nick Morgan
Many others

·
Registered
77 Posts
Miguel Zenon- fantastic player, check him out!
Antonio Hart- had the chance to see him live last year and really loved his sound and ideas.
Rudresh Mahanthappa- one of the most original voices I've heard on alto, his album "Apex" was really interesting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Justin Robinson is pretty cool, though he hasn't done a lot of solo/leader stuff (and I haven't heard any of it). He plays in Roy Hargrove's quintet. I do find he over plays a bit on the studio stuff I've heard (though that might just be for my taste). There's a live version of Strasbourg/St. Denis on youtube where he absolutely kills it though. (actually, here it is. I just had to have another listen to it.
)

Jacam Manricks is quite good as well (his album Trigonometry is very cool). I recommend catching him live if you can, especially as I'm not too sure how available his recordings are (there are some samples on his site).

·
Registered
923 Posts
Toronto's Richard Underhill is always worth a listen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Donald Harrison and Bobby Watson belong on any list of great alto players!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Bobby Watson!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was browsing for jazz schools in sweden and foundd the alto teacher in the top school in sweden his band is awesome but a handfull to listen to check out Fredrik Kronkvist quartet.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Greg Osby, Steve Coleman, Charles McPherson, Ornette Coleman, Bunky Green, Gary Bartz, Gary Foster, Tineke Postma

1 - 20 of 39 Posts