Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Returning long time member.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

does anyone know where can I buy this little tool that let me leave my saxophone with all the keys closed?
thanks.
Regards,

Mariano
(Germany)

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Hi,

does anyone know where can I buy this little tool that let me leave my saxophone with all the keys closed?
thanks.
Regards,

Mariano
(Germany)
May I ask why you would want to leave your saxophone with all the keys closed?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
If you get the Hollywood clamps make sure they are bent and placed perfect to not over compress your keys. That seems to be the secret here. I had both of mine sizes by a knowledgeable tech. Those can really hurt your instrument if not used perfectly every time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
998 Posts
I've always belonged to the anti-clamp club. Clamps are away to get poorly setup instruments play through issues though. Kinda like playing with a really heavy hand. I believe this so much I started to sell Key Leaves.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
+1 to “No clamps, please” - for 50+ years.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Clamps are good for when you have to ship your horn, or (gods forbid!) put it in the belly of a plane. Otherwise, no bueno.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb and say that clamping the normally open keys shut is not necessary, even when carrying the case in a car, plane, or delivery truck. My reasoning is that if the case gets bumped or jarred, those keys might go up and down. Isn't that what they are meant to do in the first place? If the case is hit with such a force that it bends or dents the body inside the case I don't think clamping the open keys shut is going to help. I know that most saxophones are shipped from the factory with the keys wedged or corked tightly shut and this creates pad seating and regulation issues as the overly compressed felt begins to expand. It is probably assumed that this is the safest way to ship saxophones, but I suspect no one has ever done a test or study to see if that is true.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
This is not an experiment in any way, but from my personal experience I purchased clamps after an overhaul was mailed to me and most of the keys leaked. I had sent it back as well as purchased clamps for the return trip and there were no issues. The few times I stopped using clamps I soon ran into issues with leaks.
Basically now I pull a swab through my sax after playing as well as clamps every time the instrument goes in the case religiously. I also play my sax around 20-30 hours per week with so many lessons and transport it in my car around 18-20 times per week for these lessons. With all of this playing and transporting, I only get my sax checked up once every six months or so and there are very few issues.
If someone is doing it wrong, there will be problems. But if they do it meticulously, I think there will be huge benefits.

On the flip side, key leaves are super easy to use and follow the opposite belief system. (Keys open). That works pretty well for making keys not stick and taking much less storage effort.
So to conclude, my sax has been through a lot, even an extremely hard hit, but in a Bam case and clamped keys it survives just fine.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I'm on the same limb as Saxoclese.
IMO it is an urban myth that saxes typically go out of adjustment during travel.
It is far more likely that the sax was really badly adjusted, and the "tech" misguidedly imagined that the clamps would miraculously adjust the sax in transit.

Selmer Paris did that for all the saxes arriving in my country for at least a decade.
Major adjustment was required on arrival, especially when the pads had a chance to revert to their really badly adjusted state with the keys open..

·
17,204 Posts
Clamps put permanent compression on the linkage materials, presumably compressing them, hence putting linkages out of adjustment.

(Note that none of the permanently closed keys have critical linkages associated with them.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
This is not an experiment in any way, but from my personal experience I purchased clamps after an overhaul was mailed to me and most of the keys leaked. I had sent it back as well as purchased clamps for the return trip and there were no issues. The few times I stopped using clamps I soon ran into issues with leaks.
Basically now I pull a swab through my sax after playing as well as clamps every time the instrument goes in the case religiously. I also play my sax around 20-30 hours per week with so many lessons and transport it in my car around 18-20 times per week for these lessons. With all of this playing and transporting, I only get my sax checked up once every six months or so and there are very few issues.
If someone is doing it wrong, there will be problems. But if they do it meticulously, I think there will be huge benefits.

On the flip side, key leaves are super easy to use and follow the opposite belief system. (Keys open). That works pretty well for making keys not stick and taking much less storage effort.
So to conclude, my sax has been through a lot, even an extremely hard hit, but in a Bam case and clamped keys it survives just fine.
Have you evaluated durability with just the BAM case, and no key clamps?

You may be an outlier regarding the amount of travel and abuse that your horn sees.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I'm waiting for the Klangbogen hucksters to come out with their own key clamps and make the following claim:

Klangoclamp metallurgical finishes:

Distinct metallurgical finishes give various sound response and feel just by making contact with the key clamps.

Brushed Aerospace Matte: The most bell-like ring
High Polished Brass: Creates focus and “guts”
Heavy Silver Plate: Promotes added clarity and highs
High Polished 24Kt. Gold Plate: Promotes a velvety richness to the sound

Your saxophone will automatically absorb the mystical qualities of the Klangoclamp.

Couldn't help myself.

·
17,204 Posts
Clamps put permanent compression on the linkage materials, presumably compressing them, hence putting linkages out of adjustment.

(Note that none of the permanently closed keys have critical linkages associated with them.)
And clamping puts ever deeper impressions in the pads. That equates to ever more compressed felt just where its resilience is needed, to cope with the issues of flexing metal and compressing linkage material where keys are linked.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts