Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crashed my bicycle and have 2 broken ribs and a partially dislocated shoulder. ( whatever the hell that means) Will find out today what is going to be done to get me whole again. Whatever the outcome, playing the sax is off the table for a while. That's my whine for the day and I won't be serving any cheese. Anyone have a similar experience? How soon did you get back to playing? I'll do whatever it takes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Hope your feeling better soon.
I’ve had some problems that have meant no playing at times.
I’m regularly breaking fingers it would seem.
And have had 2 hernias that have kept me from playing for a few weeks.
Time to get out those records and do some quality listening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
When I broke my right pinky I did lots of left handed tech work, did some singing with a piano and re read Miles autobiography listening to every one of his music cuts on You tube. so I'd read about a record he recorded and then listen to it on you tube. Be we'll, walk as much as you can. meditate, do something fun

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,982 Posts
Separated shoulders can hurt for quite a bit and weaken your ability to raise your arm for a while, but in time it will improve. Only worth getting surgery if you're a pro athlete and can afford to take all the time necessary for rehab. Broken ribs hurt, but so long as you can take the pain, you can do whatever you want. There's really no treatment for it unless they're fully fractured and are poking your lungs.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Oh man, sorry to hear this! As someone who has dealt with lots of injuries, my advice would be don't try to come back too quickly. Get plenty of rest and give your body time to heal properly. You'll be back in action soon and whatever you lose you will get back quickly with consistent practice. Best of luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Shoot a PM/email to former member saxmanglen and ask about his cycling accident.
Broken ribs hurt for a long time. Sneezing, coughing, rolling out of bed in the morning... Ouch.
Rest up and heal. The time away might be a good thing in the long run.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the replies. My daily practice is a huge part of my life and I'm counting the days until I return. Saw an orthopedic doctor today and he said I don't have any broken ribs or a dislocated shoulder. The Express Care I visited yesterday, right after the accident, told me I did. Going to visit the place tomorrow and get some answers. Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
130 Posts
Crashed my bike a few years back. Injuries included 9 broken bones in face, jaw in several pieces and 6 broken teeth. Took about 2 years of facial reconstruction, dental work and braces before I was playing again. Yours sounds bad, but it could be worse!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. My daily practice is a huge part of my life and I'm counting the days until I return. Saw an orthopedic doctor today and he said I don't have any broken ribs or a dislocated shoulder. The Express Care I visited yesterday, right after the accident, told me I did. Going to visit the place tomorrow and get some answers.
I guess they healed you!

Regardless, I hope you are feeling better soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,346 Posts
Bicycling is too dangerous for me. The traffic is atrocious.

And I had a can of beer thrown at me while riding, kinda discouraged me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crashed my bike a few years back. Injuries included 9 broken bones in face, jaw in several pieces and 6 broken teeth. Took about 2 years of facial reconstruction, dental work and braces before I was playing again. Yours sounds bad, but it could be worse!
Mine is a cake walk compared to yours. Good to hear you got back on the sax.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. My daily practice is a huge part of my life and I'm counting the days until I return. Saw an orthopedic doctor today and he said I don't have any broken ribs or a dislocated shoulder. The Express Care I visited yesterday, right after the accident, told me I did. Going to visit the place tomorrow and get some answers. Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.
Well, that's good news! If nothing's broken or dislocated, maybe you'll be cleared to start playing as soon as the discomfort eases up enough, which hopefully wouldn't be too long.

Not too long ago I had to have dental surgery, which sidelined me for two weeks. I really, really missed playing during that period, but I got back up to speed more quickly than I would've expected once it was over. Hopefully you will be able to start blowing again in a couple weeks and will be back up to speed in no time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,940 Posts
Well crashing sucks. I’m sure that didn’t feel very good at all. Welcome to the world of urgent care. I surely hope you don’t have broken ribs that takes a long time to heal. Meanwhile to get over the soreness I’ve had luck taking a hot bath in Epson salts.
Get some rest I hope you feel better

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hope you get well soon. I also had a biking accident, with an SUV, but was lucky to get off pretty lightly, a sprained shoulder and mild concussion. It could have been much worse. Took about 6 weeks of physio to heal. I was still able to play sax though :)

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Bruised or fractured ribs aren't fun, I've done both...sneezing can be a spiritual experience....after a month, massage can help with the ribs and the shoulder...they can break up the scar tissue....for the first month or so, not really anything you can do other than take it easy...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Played for 30 minutes today and shoulder pain aside, it felt good. Thanks again for all your replies. Helpful and inspiring.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had a bike tumble and broke both of my arms. It's actually what got me back into playing sax (playing my guitar hurt too much).

Best of luck on your recovery. It sounds like you're already on the right track!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts