Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff is an interesting, nice, and very knowledgeable sax player/teacher. Our hour lesson ended at 90 minutes because I had to go, so he was into really passing on a few points for me to work on my playing at my level. He's not a system guy who runs everybody through whatever he learned in college. He's much more like a consultant, or coach. You can't do A B C , heres some ideas on working on those specifics. Anyway , I'm a teacher myself and I'm always happy to run into someone out there who reaffirms what I'm trying to do and has a few next steps for me. So you might check him out. Affordable also, only 45 an hour K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard him do a short demo on a song. Frankly I had no idea that his background was as extensive and broad as he later told me. So it can be a crap shoot. You invest your money and hope that they 1. don't tell you too much of how great they are, make the lesson all them, 2. they listen to what you are doing and make suggestions about next steps, 3. They set and hold you to a standard. 4. they are clear what your ultimate path is. I did lessons with Tim Price, he was good on all these points, I thought Jeff was good in that one lesson. and I ve been with Tevet Sela for 4 years now because he really embodies all that. And I wanted a strictly alto player as a teacher , not so much a tenor/alto guy if that makes sense. I think I get more depth from a strictly alto person but there was much value in Tims teaching and I'm sure Jeff would be valuable in my development if I continued with him But I think no matter who you go to you need to realize that at least a year is needed to really see the change you might want in your playing. So things will be quick but music is a much deeper pool that most people realize K

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Jeff is an interesting, nice, and very knowledgeable sax player/teacher. Our hour lesson ended at 90 minutes because I had to go, so he was into really passing on a few points for me to work on my playing at my level. He's not a system guy who runs everybody through whatever he learned in college. He's much more like a consultant, or coach. You can't do A B C , heres some ideas on working on those specifics. Anyway , I'm a teacher myself and I'm always happy to run into someone out there who reaffirms what I'm trying to do and has a few next steps for me. So you might check him out. Affordable also, only 45 an hour K
I’ve known Jeff for twenty years and he’s a very knowledgeable and nice guy and also a great player. I think he went to North Texas State. I highly recommend doing some lessons with him. Phil Barone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts