Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking on Market St. in San Francisco a few days ago with my bass clarinet case in hand when a man sitting in a chair asked me if it was an alto sax. I replied "No, but I've got a tenor at home." He then told me that he was looking into putting together a horn section for some r&b studio work and that I should give him a call, then gave me his card.

He introduced himself to me as Abdul Aziz, and his card says that he is in charge of Big Time Productions & Records. I can't find any information about him or this company online.

I can think of a million things that are pretty sketchy about this proposition, but on the other hand, I would like to get paid to play some r&b. I just don't really know how people usually get these gigs, and this seems unusual.

Should I call him, or is this too sketchy?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Calling never hurted anybody. I figure you'll notice soon enough if the guy knows what he talks about when you ask the details : how much payment, which band it is for, what music to play, these kind of things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
dirty said:
I was walking on Market St. in San Francisco a few days ago with my bass clarinet case in hand when a man sitting in a chair asked me if it was an alto sax. I replied "No, but I've got a tenor at home." He then told me that he was looking into putting together a horn section for some r&b studio work and that I should give him a call, then gave me his card.

He introduced himself to me as Abdul Aziz, and his card says that he is in charge of Big Time Productions & Records. I can't find any information about him or this company online.

I can think of a million things that are pretty sketchy about this proposition, but on the other hand, I would like to get paid to play some r&b. I just don't really know how people usually get these gigs, and this seems unusual.

Yeah that does sound sketchy! You might call him anyway, and also have you checked the phone book for the company? Some old school people still haven't gotten on line.......daryl

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
There's a lot of people out there from "big-time productions". The truth is that you're gonna come across a lot of guys with bathroom recording studios and promises of putting together good paying gigs once they get that demo together and the charts and play these free gigs for exposure... you already know all of this.

Just try not to put too much on the line. Be professional and demand a professional exchange. It's funny how many people want to see your musicla resume or bio but don't have one themselves.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Um...anyone that can't tell an alto from a bari I'd stay away from. Especially if they are in music. Its like not telling the difference between a :fish: and this. :duckie: Most likely crazy or stupid. But why not give it a try?

·
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bluesaxgirl said:
Um...anyone that can't tell an alto from a bari I'd stay away from. Especially if they are in music. Its like not telling the difference between a :fish: and this. :duckie: Most likely crazy or stupid. But why not give it a try?
Well, it was a bass clarinet, not a bari, those are kind of an odd size (kind of an odd instrument!), and could possibly be interpreted as a (very long) alto case.

I think I'll give him a call. I'll only do it, though, if he agrees to pay me a set amount in CASH.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
That's right--have him SHOW YOU da MONEY!

Also, don't leave any horns out of your sight.

Reference: Rat Race; starring Tony Curtis, where Gerry Mulligan steals the naive T. Curtis's horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,407 Posts
Give him a call. But, if you meet, follow your instincts and hang on to/watch your horns. Have you ever seen the movie, Rat Race?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
I don't know why the king of Saudi Arabia would want a horn section but you should probably just call. ;)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Chicken 'Lil said:
I don't know why the king of Saudi Arabia would want a horn section but you should probably just call. ;)
That could be a problem as i believe King Fahd bin Abdul Aziz died in 2005.

·
1,208 Posts
I dunno, maybe he faked is death to do what his heart really wanted; put together r&b bands in San Francisco. I believe Elvis is the front man. Now that would be Big Time!

·
830 Posts
I dont know, if he is able to get Elvis, he should be able to grab 'Trane for tenor!

C

·
0 Posts
My first sketchy request to record, was way back in the middle ages (1979), I turned the guy down. My buddy, who raved about me to this guy, called me and tore me a new one. I ended up going, with my buddy in tow.
I made 40 bucks for a couple of hours. Had a blast !

As said before, set the cash amount upfront, and bring a buddy if you can.
Nothing like a little backup to help you relax !

·
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Toobz, that's a good idea. He did ask me if I knew any other good horn players, so I might see if a trumpet playing friend of mine can make it.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
dirty said:

If this was on Polk St. This could go in a totally different direction.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
Chicken 'Lil said:
Well, I bet there's more than one guy sitting on a chair on Market St who thinks he's the former king of Saudi Arabia! Hey Dirty let us know how this turns out. I'd be skeptical for sure, but yeah call him and ask about the money.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
dirty said:
Well, it was a bass clarinet, not a bari, those are kind of an odd size (kind of an odd instrument!), and could possibly be interpreted as a (very long) alto case.

I think I'll give him a call. I'll only do it, though, if he agrees to pay me a set amount in CASH.
But still you can see a difference. Bari cases are wider.
*edit* and go for it if agrees to pay cash before the gig. Then you can't go wrong.

·
1,208 Posts
JL said:
Well, I bet there's more than one guy sitting on a chair on Market St who thinks he's the former king of Saudi Arabia! Hey Dirty let us know how this turns out. I'd be skeptical for sure, but yeah call him and ask about the money.
No doubt. Probably more back 20 years but still a fair assortment of good quality nut bags on Market.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
martysax said:
If this was on Polk St. This could go in a totally different direction.
Tell us how you know about Polk street Marty.

Actually Abdul was a patient of mine. He was orginally an actor that starred in a one act play called "Ali Bugger and the Seven Sleeves". It was about a tailor who came up one sleeve short for a quartet. Needless to say the play did not go over that well. The last I heard of Abdul he opened a flower and fruit stand across from the navy yard in Oakland and was last seen waiting for the fleet to come in. Proceed with caution.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts