Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hankering after a Mk6 Alto despite already having a very nice '36 6m and a sweet old '32 King Voll-true. Eventually a Selmer that looked right came up about a month ago on eBay - silver, top F#, 141xxx. The purchase was a pain in the proverbial, with the seller finding himself suddenly astonished at the fees he was going to have to pay eBay and PayPal and trying to get me to pay Friends & Family off the record. I grassed him up to eBay, (they had all the emails on record, he was silly enough to suggest doing that using their internal email app); eBay were very good, 'spoke to him' directly, suddenly he said it was all a mistake and the sale went through.

Worth it? yes, I am sure it was; It has its original case (unmarked), and has been very well looked after. First gig was last week at a local beer festival, 90 minute set; paired with my new Mindi Abair 7 piece, it really was a killer, so ToomanyTenors now has ToomanyAltos, and is very happy!

View attachment 191673

View attachment 191681

View attachment 191689

View attachment 191697

View attachment 191705

What did I pay? I think £4k was a good deal for a nice '67 horn that blows like this

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
That's a great story; glad everything worked out in your favor. Looks like a wonderful horn! There's nothing quite like getting a horn you've been after for quite some time.

Happy for you! Enjoy it!

- Saxaholic

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Then will come the day when you realize you could've gotten the same thing out of a Serie II at a fraction of the cost.:twisted:

·
Registered
79 Posts
How do you like your full silver horn compared to brass? is there a big weight penalty? I'm thinking of a partial or full silver yanagisawa alto. Enjoy your new horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
That’s a beauty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That sure is a pretty saxophone. Too bad it's only an alto. :bluewink: A tenor like that could hardly be considered one too many.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
How do you like your full silver horn compared to brass? is there a big weight penalty? I'm thinking of a partial or full silver yanagisawa alto. Enjoy your new horn.
It is silver plated brass.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding the weight, it's a bit heavier than the Conn for sure, but not excessively so, especially as I'm using a Jazzlab over-the-shoulder harness, instantly adjustable to Sop, Alto and Tenor, no neck strain. My main problem is time - with too many horns, there's not enough of it to do justice to any of them... still, it's fun trying!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the delayed response, KJkev! The Mindi piece has taken some time to tame - the guy in the shop that sold it to me said that if I was decorating the house and lost my scraper anytime, this piece would strip paint and wallpaper off no trouble! I bought it to use in my covers band, to beef up and clarify my tone on the old standards like 'Baker Street' and 'Lilly was here' where I'm competing with a lot of amplifiers, and it works very well. I've actually tried using it when playing mainstream jazz, and as long as I remember to control the Mindi overdrive it's OK, but I actually prefer my Berg 100 0 M.

So I'd say if you're playing in a rock band and want to compete on even terms, go for it! Otherwise, look for something mellower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts