Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now there are four. Three of them say "RARE."

Yes, they're rare. Yes, they play well. Doesn't matter. Nobody wants one.

Heck, I own one and I don't want it. I don't even know why, really. I just don't.

If I bought all these, I could consult an engineer and have them rigged up as some kind of sax-orchestrion. Sort of like the Coltrane Robot times five. I mean...why not?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
It seemed these horns were pumped up in the past (and in the present too, apparently) with the Santy Runyon connection, and they were in vogue here for a time. I believe it was Saxpics who pointed out that Runyon wasn't listed on any of the patents, though I'd be open to proof otherwise. Its limited run is more telling.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Based upon a casual survey of the four currently on EBay... one with a honked up plastic keyguard broken off at the botton with the post for that area missing, two with serviceable but "amateur hour" variety homegrown wire guards, and one with a replacement guard; it might be that much of the likely buying public views the horn as a fragile curiosity more than a useable horn.

The Conn "three marching guys" which is redolent of high school band use (school bands is where Conn placed it's emphasis in the middle of the last century, reaping short term gains and long term Palookaville- IMH<ighly simplified>O ) on the guard and bell just doesn't appeal to many.

Fine sounding horn, great keywork, novel mechanism in many regards, have one myself and cherish it but don't play it much- a "collector's item" with an unusually narrow niche.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The 28M is a interesting Horn ! special design ! in terms of sound its to focused in the high register......
Med Flory plays it since many years .... its not a bad horn !!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
I had 2 or 3 and they were nice horns but I hate that plastic bedpan and I think the engraving is too busy compared to the 6M. Currently looking for one and a 26M so I can have a set of Conn altos.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The plastic thingy is butt-ugly, but I do like the first horn which has a single rod soldered on in place of the plastic. That horn has a sort of "art deco" look which I like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Ugly horn from the plastic guard side... mean player! I love 28M's and I don't particulary like Conns. Although I prefer a 400's TH&C :twisted:

·
Banned
184 Posts
It seemed these horns were pumped up in the past (and in the present too, apparently) with the Santy Runyon connection, and they were in vogue here for a time. I believe it was Saxpics who pointed out that Runyon wasn't listed on any of the patents, though I'd be open to proof otherwise. Its limited run is more telling.
The limited run of the 28M had more to do with the corporate politics within Conn than the merits of the horn. Innovating for excellence was increasingly seen as an expensive distraction that didn't help the bottom line. Boy, did they ever turn out to be wrong!

·
4,507 Posts
This is the Webster (ben webster) grumps/human/grumps bot-dictionary

where it says
Could have been poor sales figures and/or the cost to produce exceeded what they brought in. People buying them might have helped... even with the politics.
you should read: IT SUCKED!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
Most of the USN and other military 28Ms had the 6M metal guard rather than the plastic...from the factory. I have heard there were 50 or so but no way to document. If I could find a nice straight 28M for really cheap. I would redo the whole left side and put on a 6M style deal and silver plate the whole horn.

·
Banned
184 Posts
The Connquerors also had an abbreviated run, ended in 1943 and not revived after WWII. That did not mean that they sucked. The Connstellations were about 25% more expensive (in corrected dollars) than were the equivalent lacquered 26Ms, according to saxpics.com. The cost difference between a 6M and a 28M would have been a major deterrent. Poor sales of the 28M would not mean that they were bad horns. Conn's decision not to fold the advanced features of the 28M into its pro line horns after its discontinuation was indicative of the direction the company was taking.

·
4,507 Posts
The Connquerors also had an abbreviated run, ended in 1943 and not revived after WWII. That did not mean that they sucked.
in some way yes it sucked. It was like a 6M but the mechanism were heavy and "stuffy". I also think that in the scale of an alto it looked cumbersome. It's an alto! it doesn't need all that extra girdle support. A bari with all those mech refinements would have been another story. heck the 30M is a wonderful horn...

The Connstellations were about 25% more expensive (in corrected dollars) than were the equivalent lacquered 26Ms, according to saxpics.com. The cost difference between a 6M and a 28M would have been a major deterrent. Poor sales of the 28M would not mean that they were bad horns. Conn's decision not to fold the advanced features of the 28M into its pro line horns after its discontinuation was indicative of the direction the company was taking.
Could it also be that the thing was like a corvair? (meaning, looked slick but worked like s**t) The only good direction the good folks at CG Conn Ltd seem to have taken on the 28M was lose the stupid microtuner :mrgreen:

·
Banned
184 Posts
in some way yes it sucked. It was like a 6M but the mechanism were heavy and "stuffy". I also think that in the scale of an alto it looked cumbersome. It's an alto! it doesn't need all that extra girdle support. A bari with all those mech refinements would have been another story. heck the 30M is a wonderful horn...

Could it also be that the thing was like a corvair? (meaning, looked slick but worked like s**t) The only good direction the good folks at CG Conn Ltd seem to have taken on the 28M was lose the stupid microtuner :mrgreen:
OK, I'm content to let you think that the action on the Connquerors and the Connstellations sucked. [rolleyes]

Weird thing with the 28M is that the feature that makes it such a collector's item is such a bust from a functional standpoint. Nice looking when new (if you agree with the aesthetic choice), but made to scratch, break, and generally get ugly in a few years; impossible to repair; awkward and generally in the way. *** were they thinking when they designed that thing to extend over the bow? I'm kind of surprised that some mod shop hasn't invented a nice looking metal rod guard to fit the attachment points of the plastic guard. Great player's horn with a functional guard when you want it, collector's value when you want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts