Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...This got to be one of the most interesting ensembles ever.

Second track from Williams's "Life Time" album. Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on August 21 & 24, 1964.
Musicians on the album: Tony Williams (drums, tympani, wood block, maracas, triangle); Sam Rivers (tenor saxophone); Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone, marimba); Herbie Hancock (piano); Gary Peacock, Richard Davis, Ron Carter (bass).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFwgXlEoRNs&feature=related

NOT ENOUGH SAID ABOUT SAM RIVERS EITHER...Guy is a genius.
Sounds so amazing too. There's a warmth I always liked on this recording.

Here's more from anothe- of Tonys I always go back too ;

Tony Williams  Love Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i01faO_cN44&feature=related

SAM RIVERS.........Whew/damn/whatta player ~:soapbox::mrgreen::)

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,728 Posts
I love that tune, it's among my all-time favorite recordings. Tony's drumming on the Spring and Lifetime albums kills me - I think he peaked around this time, when he was 20 or so, though I know I'm in the minority with that opinion. I just love his free, light, crisp drumming style that unfortunately later became more bombastic.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
What a great pairing Williams and Rivers were.

Sam Rivers went on to dig into that same feel and approach, and is still playing with great sound and passion well into his 80's.

The really special original Sam Rivers Trio played a reunion gig at Columbia University in NYC a few years back. It was the first time in about 30 years that Rivers, Dave Holland and Barry Altschul had played together and all it took was about 10 minutes before they "found it" again.

Two must listen recordings are the duet sessions of Sam and Dave on Improvising Artists records (Paul Bley's label from the 70's).

Just and aside: I saw that original trio in the early 70's in a club in Austin, Texas and I still have the gig poster, which says that my ticket cost either $3 or maybe $2 if I got it in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are some really great vids of Sam Rivers from 1989 on the tube. The SML tenor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJCLFWfnu4k&feature=related

Looks like Saranwrap on his mouthpiece?
LOOKS LIKE A NECK CORK SHIMMY..To keep da' wiggles off the mouthpiece till he gets a new cork :)

SAM......SO BEAUTIFUL. I'll say it......I think Sam Rivers is oneof the MOST IMPORTANT guys in this music- as GREAT as anyone ever. And- a great great innovative force.CHECK OUT SAM.........ON PIANO. Yeh Sam!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great track!! I never heard that one before. Those are some very creative dudes there.
I also like the Rivers-Holland duet records mentioned above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts