Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned that the long-time leader and cornetist of The New Black Eagle Jazz Band, Mass., passed away following heart surgery. The NBEJB was/is one of my all-time favorite trad bands. The band's current reed player, Billy Novick, described Tony's playing style as being SPARE, a characteristic that I admired greatly . . . not many notes but every one counted. He will be missed in the dwindling trad-jazz world - and elsewhere. DAVE

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Oh dear, dear. That's very bad news. Pringle was a fine cornetist, who led a fine band. As a cornetist he was a clarinetist's dream – he played a great sparse lead, and always left plenty of spaces for us to play in. This is something too many cornetists and trumpeters are ignorant of; for they treat every band performance like a God-ordained opportunity to show off their own (often dubious) talents, to the detriment of the others, as if the band were just a backing group for a cornet or trumpet soloist.

Tony Pringle will be sorely missed, Dave: thank you for passing on this news to us, even though it's very bad news indeed.

Requiescat in pace Tony Pringle.

EDIT: Here's a link to an obituary on the Syncopated Times website, which includes an example of Pringle's playing and an autobiograpical account of his life:

https://syncopatedtimes.com/tag/tony-pringle-obituary/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my goodness . . . that rhythm section!! They sure had the fire.

For many years they had a virtuoso tuba player - Dr. Eli Newberger (a world-reknowned pediatric surgeon) who knocked my socks off.

I recall one live-concert recording they made years ago on an old tune called ORIENTAL STRUT (written by the banjo player in Armstrong's Hot Five, Johnny St. Cyr) where Pringle did a two-chorus solo that was simply marvelous. DAVE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts