Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about my embouchure and I noticed that I do something with my tongue that I've never realized before; I'm not sure if its normal or not. When I am playing, primarily in the low and middle registers, the tip of my tongue sits between my lower lip and teeth. My tongue isn't hurt at all by my teeth, it barely touches, and my lip doesn't come in contact with my teeth except for when I move my tongue out of the way since I have to bite a bit in the upper register to help it out. Is it bad that I use my tongue to stabilize my embouchure?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Can you tongue like this without a problem? Also try really hard not to bite when going up the registers...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tongue fast while maintaining a great tone. I'm aware of the biting problem, I've been working on it for months.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
Steve does anchor tonguing use part of the tongue back from the tip of the tongue to articulate?
Ys, you use the middle of the tongue. I played for 7 years this way and didn't find out what I was doing until my first year of college. My classical sax teacher said I should change. I didn't want to and hated those 3 months but I am so glad I did. You don't realize it when you are an anchor tonguer but it is very heavy and sluggish. I know, I know you guys that do it are saying "No it isn't, I tongue great" .......that's what I thought also until I learned to tongue near the tip of my tongue. It was much cleaner, lighter and faster. Trust me!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean that your tongue is against the back of your lower teeth and your lower lip is sorta rolled over it. If that is the case that is called anchor tonguing.
No, the tip of my tongue is actually between my lip and teeth. I don't know when I subconsciously started doing this but when I take the tongue away from that spot I can't make a single pleasant sound.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
No, the tip of my tongue is actually between my lip and teeth. I don't know when I subconsciously started doing this but when I take the tongue away from that spot I can't make a single pleasant sound.
If you are doing this it is still anchor tonguing because you are tonguing with the middle of your tongue. The tip of your tongue is stuck between you teeth and bottom lip. I would change this ASAP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts