Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this monster up. For a long time I had floated back & forth between a Buescher B11 Top Hat & Cane and a Super 20 1A. And then as the years passed by I really only played the TH&C. And then for the past four years I honestly only touched my System 76 and it had become and outperformed everything that I dreamed of.

Fast forward to the holidays, 2018. I noticed an auction for a stunning tenor which over the years I have seldom heard anybody play in person. I chuckled and told myself that zie Germans never did it as good as Conn, so don't expect much.
I knew that the intonation on these takes some minor adjustment work, but I never forgot the praise that Stohrer and Warshauer and Helen heaped onto these. I pulled the trigger and the silver tenor arrived.

And I'll be Jitterbugged if this isn't one of the most special tenors that I've ever had the pleasure to play. If my (rather extraordinary) System 76, 400 and 1A are monsters, than this Toneking is a Superconducting Super Collider. Earth Shaker. Pretty amazing and a nice surprise.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have one of these. Where is yours made? Mine is stamped made in Czech but has the JK best in world stamp. I also have the neck like yours.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Mine also has the original JK Best in the World, made in Czechoslovakia which was the original factory before the (basically forced ?) move to Germany. Serial 18,000. Quite a nice surprise for me. I never thought a Keilwerth would be one of the best sounding/playing in my hands.
I found myself raising my neck strap up quite a bit more than I normally do, made some embouchure adjustments and felt pretty great about it within a few hours of playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I had an earlier one of these marked "KING" on the bell .. had no idea what it was when I saw it hanging on the wall
of a music store in the late 90's but knew it definitely wasn't an H.N. White King .

Couldn't believe the great sound it was putting out and bought it on the spot .

·
Registered
134 Posts
I currently have 2 tenors and 2 altos from that period. All great horns with a good ergonomics considering the age. However, i would only recommend the tenors for rather large hands, since the right hand keys are pretty far apart

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,706 Posts
For your travels you should have horns stashed in various places around the world.

I will permit you to store that horn in France so its here when you need it :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,
Coming up on two weeks of playing this tenor now and it's really pretty special. I have been testing it out with the Coltrane Omnibook and with Steve Neff's Devastating Grooves. It is free blowing or neutral-ish as far as back pressure depending on which piece I use- It loves my old Florida Link STM, adores my old Link Slant Sig hard rubber, but does not like my BD Hollywood Special as much and gets unruly with intonation. I think that all of these Series I's will do very well with FL Links..... And the powerful resonance on this tenor is quite unparalleled. (I consider the gold standard to be a Buescher 400 B11 and this one easily rivals a good TH&C)
I think that it's fair to say that if you love the feel and sound of a really good pre-war Conn 30M/10M, you will absolutely be head over heels for this serial number range from Keilwerth. I had no idea that they built these so well. Just wow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts