Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So this sax just appeared in my side of the world and it's intriguing. Things that differ a bit from what usually is said:

- Modell 3, but Toneking, not King
- Above serial number is the letter H, high pitch? Supposedly there wasn't HP horns by keilwerth
- The Best Of World, instead of The Best In The World

It has split bell keys, micro tuner neck, early horn. What do you think?

View attachment 236538 View attachment 236540 View attachment 236542

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
958 Posts
What is the length of the horn? That will tell you everything you need to now.

And yes, ostensibly JK only made horns tuned to A=440. That said, I would say never say never. Don't forget his brother's Globe Master Luxus that somebody bought that is a HP horn--which is BTW not marked in anyway to indicate that it is not tuned to 440.

Edit: 1. I should mention I have a bunch of photos that I took with a yard stick showing the lengths of both the Globemaster and my Hohner President side by side. I just haven't had time to do anything with them yet.

2. I will take a look through all my JK pics to see if I have a specimen with an H by the serial #. Off the top of my head I would say I can't remember ever seeing one like this before, and I've seen pics of hundreds of vintage JKs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dear Kreacher,

This is a very early Keilwerth model made at the original JK Factory in Graslitz (Kraslice, Czech Republic) where the brand was founded in 1925. Based on the serial number this would have been produced in 1935.

I recently purchased a Tenor counterpart to this horn (#6992) produced the same year, but mine does not have the "H" and I do not have any records of what this designates. I had mine restored to playing condition and it produces a wonderful tone, although the keywork and ergonomics is obviously very different to a modern instrument.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should mention this is an Alto sax. I messaged the seller asking for the measurement from bottom to top of the tenon without neck.

So I assume that Keilwerth used this logo in the first years before switching to Best In The World.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts