Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem when I play. I've been playing on a metal mouthpiece for a while now, and my sound has too many high overtones in it, which makes it sound shrill. There's no meat under my sound. I've been working overtones for the last few years and I'm worried I'm not working them the right way, or maybe my embouchure is bad. I've spent the last week concentrating on my embouchure and I've made sure to spend extra time on long tones, overtones, and trying to match the sound of the greats (I'll take a spot where Sonny holds a note and loop it, and try to match his tone). What else can I try and is there an online resource for embouchure help?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wait, are you saying that you started on a METAL mouthpiece?

Or just that you recently swtiched to the metal from hard rubber?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
What mouthpiece is it?

Sounds very much like you need a teacher there in front of you to answer this rather than getting any quick magic solution online, but you'll find quite a lot of useful stuff on tone and embouchure on my site.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been playing for 8 years. About 2 and a half years ago i started using a metal mouthpiece. I've used both a Link and a Berg for a good amount of time. This isn't so much of a terrible terrible problem as much as I'm just really unhappy with the amount of high overtones in my sound. Oh, and I have a teacher year round except i'm home for the summer now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts