Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I extended my sax collection ( sop & alto) with a tenor sax. On my vintage Beaugnier sop I use a tone edge 8*. My tenor is also a Beaugnier (Noblet). So, if I choose another TE for the tenor, will testing lead me to the 8* as well, or is there no link (what's in a name) between the tip opening sop vs tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,382 Posts
Funny question.
In theory it should be just a numeric coincidence.
But I realised that I play with a similar approach, 8*/9 facings on all my saxophones. Probably just another coincidence.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my alto I play a Selmer E. Tip opening = 78. The Otto Link 8* soprano mpc = 83. So, for me, the numeric logic would be a Tone Edge facing 5 or so.
But is there any logic in saxland? Who will share his/her facings on different saxes?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,382 Posts
But is there any logic in saxland?
There isn't :).
It is not uncommon to play wide facings on soprano an closer ones on other horns. If you browse around the thread you will find this topic emerging regularly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I have never thought of it that way and I play big tips on soprano and tenor sax. since your asking and coming from playing alto sax I would say it depends how strong or efficient with air are you as a player. remember an Otto Link Tone Edge is a darker larger chambered piece and an 8 star is ,115 tip which can be a challenge, again it depends.
Try with a 7 or .100 tip and if your not satisfied sell or trade it and then try for a bigger size.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There isn't :).
It is not uncommon to play wide facings on soprano an closer ones on other horns. If you browse around the thread you will find this topic emerging regularly.
Does this have anything to do with the fact that it's easier to press down that puny soprano reed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts