Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Wierd question time! I've been advised to have a toncillectomy and i'm concerned it may result in long term adverse effects on my playing, or even change my embrochure completely. Have any players out there had the op, or does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? Could it make me sound better? ;)

Advice will be appreciated.

Regards,

Nick.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
The only way it should affect your embrochure is if they accidentally remove your lips instead of your tonsils. This is fairly uncommon...

I don't honestly think it'll make a big enough difference to the volume of your oropharynx to make any difference - except, I hope, enabling you to play without a sore throat and a fever.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
potiphar said:
The only way it should affect your embrochure is if they accidentally remove your lips instead of your tonsils. This is fairly uncommon...

I enjoy your sense of humor, potiphar! Keep those one-liners coming.
Ruth

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,695 Posts
I have thought about this quite a bit. I had my tonsils removed a while back. I think my sound got bigger. It feels like the cavity in my mouth is larger, bigger throat opening or something like that. No change in embouchure though.

Other changes have been that I gulp more when I drink and sometimes the back of my throat dries up suddenly (happens when I'm talking a lot) and I'll have a mad coughing bout.

On a side note, I've heard of trombone players having their 2 front teeth adjusted so they can get a better tone/fit on the horn.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
potiphar said:
:sign5:

My tonsils almost fell out from laughing....:D

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
SaxxMan said:
My tonsils almost fell out from laughing....:D

That was just as funny as potiphar! You guys should stop before we all end up in the hospital!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
AltoRuth said:
potiphar said:

I enjoy your sense of humor, potiphar! Keep those one-liners coming.
Ruth
Well, I have to keep my patients happy somehow...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upawholestep, thanks its useful to hear the experiences of someone who has had the op. :shock:

Potiphar, thanks for the tip, i'll forego the anesthetic and watch out for my lips. ;)

Renaissance Man, as a newbie without a signature I like your format so i've copied it. No infringement of copyright I hope. :notworth:

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Nick - don't give it another thought; you'll be fine.

I've had not only my tonsils removed, but that little dangly thing in your throat that hangs from the roof like a stalactite, as well as other tissue in my throat removed. I sucked just as bad after the operation as before. No change whatsoever. :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
gary said:
Nick - don't give it another thought; you'll be fine.

I've had not only my tonsils removed, but that little dangly thing in your throat that hangs from the roof like a stalactite, as well as other tissue in my throat removed. I sucked just as bad after the operation as before. No change whatsoever. :D
It's called the uvula. Nice word, eh?;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
renaissance_man said:

That was just as funny as potiphar! You guys should stop before we all end up in the hospital!
I thought reading a thread on tonsillectomy and embouchure would be a safe bet to sneak a bite of my sandwich...

And then I read potiphar's post and almost choked...

so it wasn't actually my tonsils that flew out...just bits of sandwich...:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
I was wondering if it improves one's spelling.... if so, I guess Saxxman has had the op :D

(I did, too, about 61 years ago!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
My tonsils were removed when I was about 5 years old. They told me I would wake up with a sore throat, and they'd give me a dish of ice cream.

Almost 50 years later, I'm still waiting for the ice cream.

Doctors. I hate 'em.

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Nick, it's cool, bro. I actually copied the idea from someone else, so I guess now I've completed my part in the "circle of ideas".

SaxxMan, let that be a lesson to you. Really, I'm surprised at you. Listen, and listen well: you are never safe on the SOTW Forum.

jimells, you got a perfectly good verbal contract that was never followed through, and 50 years of resulting mental anguish to boot. I smell a lawsuit...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,395 Posts
Only if your tonsils are hanging on your lips If so, when they remove them it can't help but improve your embouchure. Don't forget to eat lots of ice cream. And make everybody waite on you hand and foot.:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
It will not affect your playing at all...at least in my experience. Be prepared to not play for several weeks after surgery however, because you will be in a LOT of pain. Eat plenty of ice cream.:)

·
Registered
721 Posts
In my experience it is only a bit nasty when you wake up and for a couple of days afterwards. I was able to play (though I shouldn't have done according to the doctor) within 2 weeks, but noticed it for about a month afterwards - a pulling in the throat when playing loud. No effect on embouchure, but a huge beneficial effect on general health. Don't worry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
renaissance_man said:
jimells, you got a perfectly good verbal contract that was never followed through, and 50 years of resulting mental anguish to boot. I smell a lawsuit...
Perhaps Mr. Grumps will take my case to the Supreme Court?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts