Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's work music: THE GREAT EDDIE JEFFERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All day and night-----COME ON, BABY!

Love Ediies voice so much---can't get enough.

Loads of you have not heard of him and this is a great opportunity to be turned on to an absolute legend who just does not get enough discussion.

Oh yeah, have loved Richie's vibe for over 35 years now too!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh yes !!!!!!

Mark, here is a little story that may amuse you.

When I started sax, I lived in remote north of Scotland. No teachers around, so I just spent my time transcribing the sax solos from a UK reggae band called UB 40.

When I had done all of those, I needed more sax to transcribe.
So, when next back in civilisation, I went to the large record shop. “ I need music with sax on it” says I.

The guy directs me to the jazz section. I knew nothing about jazz, but found an Lp with a guy holding an alto. “That will do”, says me.

It was “keeper of the flame” by Richie Cole. With Eddie Jefferson. And the track you link to is on it.

Fantastic stuff, which I loved from the off. I could hardly transcribe the tunes, never mind the solos, but I was off on my journey.

I later bought other records of Richie Cole and one fantastic double Lp of Eddie Jefferson’s, which I loved too.

Ive just got the “keeper of the flame “ LP out now, and am wallowing in happy memories. My introduction to jazz.

Thanks for the thread.

·
Premium Member
15,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love it!!!!

More so than being able to transcribe stuff, is the influence and inspiration the music can have on us.
I remember hearing Brubecks album with Take 5 on it for the first time, and it moved me beyond words. The piano, the sax, the drums, the bass...oh my!!!
Something magical about the sounds I heard.
Inspiration! Music is so powerful. It can make us think, laugh, cry, etc... amazing!--- so glad to have it as such a major part of my life every single day.

Keeper of the Flame is so much fun. Never gets old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts