Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in this vid I'm practicing putting a II V before the Iv chord in a blues and adding a II V going to the turn around. I find that I can run a ii v stand alone but remembering to put it into the blues form can be an issue. I'm also adding a iv minor on bar 6 and a I iv ii v at the end of the form. enjoy, heres how I spend my retirement? K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRT6up6YCWc

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
Was doing something very similar this morning. Thanks for sharing and keep going!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,376 Posts
Keith, on a slightly different, but related, note, what I've found works well on the blues is to play a ii-V7 in bars 9 and 10 instead of V7 IV7. I also find playing iii-VI7 in bars 7 and 8 to be effective.

So for bars 7, 8, 9, 10: iii / VI7 / ii / V7

This even works over a 'basic' blues.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,376 Posts
That's what I"m practicing I think.
I think you're doing something a bit different than what I outlined, which is fine. I was just provided a slightly simplified (?) version, I think.

Here's how you explained what you're doing: "I'm practicing putting a II V before the Iv chord in a blues and adding a II V going to the turn around. I find that I can run a ii v stand alone but remembering to put it into the blues form can be an issue. I'm also adding a iv minor on bar 6 and a I iv ii v at the end of the form."

Not quite the same as what I outlined in my post (#5) above. The "II V before the IV chord" you mention would be in bar 4, correct? But it's all good. Just thought I'd contribute something that may or may not be helpful. :)

p.s. Just to be crystal clear, here's the 12 bar blues progression I outlined, which I think is pretty common and works well even over the more basic form:

/ I7 / IV7 / I7 / I7 /

/ IV7 / IV7 / IIImin7 / VI7 /

/ IImin 7 / V7 / I7 / I7 /

(note: one chord per bar)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts