Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of Sundays ago I played Amazing Grace really straight on my tenor. After Mass the priest told me I couldn't play sax in church because it made the congregation think about sex. Needless to say I'm looking for a new place to worship.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
A couple of Sundays ago I played Amazing Grace really straight on my tenor. After Mass the priest told me I couldn't play sax in church because it made the congregation think about sex. Needless to say I'm looking for a new place to worship.
That is just flat out bizarre.

Hang on, were you playing with your pants down?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Think Baptist. We like saxophone playing and sex as long as you're having sex with someone that you're married to. Of course, of the two, we usually only prefer the sax playing during the actual church service. You normally have to wait until you get back home on Sunday afternoon for the other. :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Are you in a church full of pervs?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
A couple of Sundays ago I played Amazing Grace really straight on my tenor. After Mass the priest told me I couldn't play sax in church because it made the congregation think about sex.
I would take that as a compliment

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
How can he know what people are thinking?

Hmmm... when I was a churchgoer, the organ music made me think about sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
1. Yes, I would take that as a complement.
2. That's one of the most original pick-up lines I've ever heard... Depending on your personal inclinations, you either go for it, or jump ship.
3. "Organ music": which organ was he thinking of, specifically?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
bro, I have been doing church music for over 15 years in a protestant environment.
music always has different interpretations, depending on the listeners.
allow me some slack - the priests and church are participants in music and the audience is the Almighty.
so long the audience (ie God) is not complaining, some interpretations may hold some weight, but I will weigh my intent more than their interpretation.
honestly (back to a musical context), I would consider that to be a compliment actually, if the music move anyone enough towards anything.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The term "A Capella" has a meaning for us that usually means vocal music without accompaniment. However, it originally meant music performed in the church when the use of any musical instrument was not considered appropriate for the holy building. For most of us, that has changed quite a bit over time and for hundreds of years sacred music with various musical instruments have been a regular part of services all over the world.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.