Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks
i've got a question for you , i've got an asian alto saxophone ,can i get right with it ? for info i've been playing for 2 years but i can play quite some genres . and i had the idea to change my initial mouthpiece with another good one a yamaha 4c to be precise
so will this little setup affect the sax ? is an asian saxo really not good :( ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, all Asian saxophones are not bad. The Japanese makes some of the world's best. The Taiwanese, make many great saxes today. And the Chinese have shown they are capable of making world-class saxes too. The issue is not the country of origin, it is consistency within a given brand name. If ten different Chinese companies engrave "Lauren" on their saxes and you have a friend that has a well-made, great-playing Lauren, there is no guarantee that the one you buy will have anything in common with the one your friend owns.

Next, the quality of the saxophone will not limit the genres of music you can play. Among many, common problems with poorly made saxophones may include one or more of the following:

1. Bad intonation, will not play relatively in tune with it's self over the natural range of the instrument.
2. Will not hold an adjustment and is prone to leaks.
3. Easily damaged.
4. Will not hold up under normal use.
5. Has terrible tone that cannot be remedied with the right mouthpiece.
6. Poor build quality or design that makes the sax hard or impossible to repair.

If your horn does not have these problems, it may be a perfectly fine sax for your level of playing. And any good repair tech can probably tell you where your sax fits in on the build quality issues.

And on the subject of a new mouthpiece. That's a great idea. The mouthpiece is the most important factor. A good quality mouthpiece may take you a lot further and may help you develop a better tone and expand the types of music that you learn to play confidently. You might consider going to a music store and trying our several different mouthpieces to find the one that works best for you. The Yamaha 4C is a very good piece, but you might also want to try a Morgan Protone. It's the mouthpiece I have been comparing my new professional alto mouthpieces against. And I've found it's pretty tough to beat the Protone. But try as many different mouthpieces as you can before you buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.