Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,781 Posts
nice playing and good piece. I wonder if you ever considered using your composition for radio programs or theatrical performances.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I'm open to the music being used however wherever and I'm sure the guitarist is as well. Have left it downloadable with the only proviso that if someone is making $$ they would recognise our efforts and share. For now just glad that it has some appreciation as it's a bit different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,781 Posts
well, that's nice ..........how about taking a more pro-active role and actually put a demo of these pieces on a cd and send them to Radio stations, Theatres, audio and video production companies in NZ to see if they are interested? Will cost little and you never know what happens.

·
Administrator
17,248 Posts
Very well played Wade. Very smooth clarinet like sound, liked the effect you used just after 1:25. Heard some Desmond vibes at places. Thanks for posting.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Milandro for your vote of confidence.

There's around 250 pieces that I've bothered to edit. 90% is crap, and it's all very basic recording and editing. Yes there are some interesting feels and sounds, but most professional user/players want a professional ready to use product. There used to be producers who would seek out interesting stuff and then follow up with proper recordings and then put the product into the right markets. Well, very limited market for what we do so probably no sugar daddies out there. That means that we would need to pop for mega bucks to properly record without knowing if there's anyone who would use the stuff.

I don't think going to professional user/players with unprofessional recordings is a good idea. You put yourself in the category of being flaky and saying "if only...", or "imagine this done correctly". You've either got a product they can use or you don't. Radio stations and production companies expect state of the art recorded sound. Both the guitarist and I are very inconsistent and would probably require a lot of expensive studio time to get much right.

The guitarist has interesting ideas, but is far from professional. We milk the strange and unusual in our improvisations, but find it difficult to do this consistently or to repeat what may have worked in a previous session. Getting 6 minutes of interesting recording generally takes around three hours of playing. That's a 3% - 4% effective use of time, and not all of those are "keepers".

We already have a flaky demo that we use to introduce ourselves to the cafes and wineries where we want to perform. It's OK for the purpose of giving those venues the idea of how we sound in performance, but far from a professional recording. We also don't do the experimental stuff in those venues and stick to our "world music jazz fusion" style. Doesn't pay a lot of bills but keeps us performance primed.

I'm frankly not confident that we are that good or that marketable. Different? Yes! Good? Well, depends on if you hear us only at that 3% of the time that goes right. Maybe in another 10 years we'll get it right. I'll only be 75 years old then!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts