Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local music store has a Silver big B aristocrat 315xxx. I've played it and it plays allthe way up to high F perfectly in tune, and I can play as soft as i can all the way down to Bb. Besides a few small leaks, probably from sitting for God knows how long it seems like a great horn. The silver is pretty tarnished, but not green, which doesn't really bother me.The guy wants $1400 for it. I need to know what other things I should inspect about this sax before commiting to buy. Is this a good price for this horn?
+JY

·
Registered
285 Posts
My primary horn is a Big B tenor, although not silver, and I can promise you if it's in good working order, that it's an excellent investment. As to the price, I paid about that for mine 8 years ago, but mine was from a Sax dealer and was completely overhauled at the time. (Not a very good one, maybe I should say it had an above average pad job). Warning, I'm a classical player, not jazz, but I have piddle with it on occasions as all do and I've never had a minutes problem with mine. Would recommend it to anyone!

Mine is a 305XXX too...so they should be awfully similar.

-Pat

·
Registered
957 Posts
You like it, you have the money ... Next question is: do you need it? If so, buy it!
Any other questions?...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If its been sitting, it may need a repad. It seeems to me that the price is on the high side if that is the case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these the ones with snap in pads and norton springs? If so how do I tell if it still has these?
+JY

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
It will have nortons as you cant replace them as they screw in on a small grub screw. It shoud have snap ins which are held in by a silver/grey looking small domed reso that will un-clip if you slide a knife under it. If the reso's are flat then they have been removed
Dave

·
Banned
327 Posts
My advice, don't pay $1400 for an old aristocrat. The big B's have a lot of hype and all, but it's an old hunk of metal. If it's all tarnished, it's just going to need a lot of work. You fancy the big bells? You can get yourself a Selmer La Voix for that price. Wanna go vintage? Get yourself an old Conn, chu's are going quite cheap these days. Beuschers are only worth while if in mint condition. Trust me on this one! True tone, better way to go.

- Scott

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
calisax said:
My advice, don't pay $1400 for an old aristocrat. The big B's have a lot of hype and all, but it's an old hunk of metal. If it's all tarnished, it's just going to need a lot of work. You fancy the big bells? You can get yourself a Selmer La Voix for that price. Wanna go vintage? Get yourself an old Conn, chu's are going quite cheap these days. Beuschers are only worth while if in mint condition. Trust me on this one! True tone, better way to go.

- Scott
I disagree.

A silver plated Aristo of that vintage is easily worth $1400; and the OP has the
option of bargaining down to say $1100-1200(if he's savvy).

Hand polishing a tenor is not that difficult, at all.

The Conn Chu tenors are great; I've had plenty of Conn tenors, and still have
one. I also have an early(1st year) Big B and it's a marvelous tenor.

If upon inspection the body is undamaged(dings, dents, resoldered posts,etc)
and the pads are in good shape; it's a good deal, good investment, and a good horn.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I disagree as well, the price doesn't seem that bad. Silver plating alone is pretty expensive. Those are great horns, no hype here.

If you want it to shine, polishing it would be pretty easy, man. My Buescher has not one speck of lacquer and I love that look. Mine plays like a million bucks.

If it plays and you like the sound, go for it, you'll not regret it. It will bury many a modern horn.

I have a Chu as well, but there's something about the Buescher. I'll never part with mine, no hype here.

Regards to you all, Kenfen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,014 Posts
What are you people even talking about... you don't even know if it's an alto, tenor or bari. By the avatar, the original poster seems to be a bari player. If this horn is a bari, take it and run. If it's a tenor and it has the Nortons and the snap-ins... it's in the ballpark and may be worth making an offer. If it's an alto, it's overpriced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
" You people ... "

"You people ???"

:D
Anyway, now that I think of it he didn't say if it was S, A, T, or B .

I assumed he might be talking about a tenor, though because he had asked
recently about a Conn Chu tenor relacq. that was overpriced at $1600.

On this one I did advise him to make a lower offer.

You'd have to agree that a silverplated alto tenor or bari would easily get $1400
in good shape, though.

good shape meaning nortons and snaps, intact.

So, is this guy going to let us know the outcome of these threads he starts?:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
hmmm

well.... if you like it, it plays well for you, it's well in tune.... sounds like a good deal .... i mean 1400 is not a lot for a horn you might play forever huh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts