Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2226 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion either way? Money is tight here at the moment, but I have a drop of GAS. Maybe the Klangbogen will hit the spot. Or not? Please offer your opinion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah kinda ridiculous looking BUT there seems to be a growing cult following for these sorts of crazy things.

Doesn’t seem worth it to me. Never tried it, but it just looks stupid.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m skeptical of all of the “high mass” products that fix acoustic problems at “specific nodal points”. Especially when they only way a couple ounces (if that)

·
Registered
413 Posts
A fellow of mine had one that he received from someone else, and so-on. I was next down the list.

After several configurations and placements, I concluded that it did nothing for me on any horn, sop-to-bari.

I felt no difference, nor did my friend (musician) nor did my wife (non-musician).

My 2c!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can't figure out what exactly it's supposed to even do. Maybe the theory is that it's supposed to create a better seal at the neck?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Yeah kinda ridiculous looking BUT there seems to be a growing cult following for these sorts of crazy things.
Normally, describing something as a "cult" and "crazy" would be reasons NOT to join. But at least you're going in with your eyes wide open! :)

IMO, if you're taking the plunge, you may as well buy them all. Don't shortchange yourself on any of these timbral options:

Metallurgical finishes:
Distinct metallurgical finishes give various sound response and feel.

Brushed Aerospace Matte: The most bell-like ring
High Polished Brass: Creates focus and “guts”
Heavy Silver Plate: Promotes added clarity and highs
High Polished 24Kt. Gold Plate: Promotes a velvety richness to the sound
The "Aerospace" option could come in handy if you ever need to bring your saxophone on board the International Space Station.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I was curious and built my own versions using some brass rods and it cost me like $5 a piece. One was really heavy (3/8 " halfround), bent to wrap around about 1/3 of the neck circumference and it did not do anything. One was a 1/8 " and it tended to slightly vibrate/resonate with the horn. After going back and forth for a few months I ditched it in favor of "don't bother".

At $80 or so for a real Klangbogen my recommendation is to buy a few rounds of shots for the audience: "The more you drink, the better we sound"

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
495 Posts
I tried one recently (belonged to someone I know) and I did not hear a difference.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2 cents worth - every device that detracts from the original specs of the instrument as an add-on, or an apparent improvement, will act as a catalyst for our individual perception to self fulfillment. For some, there will be a noticible difference in the areas of tone, intonation, focus, timbre - all that is mainly what we "think" we hear or even convince ourselves to "hear", so as to agree with the claims made by the products' manufacturers.

But hey, it's good business to try different reeds, ligatures, a whole plethora of mouthpieces of different materials and specificiations. And not to mention that even the type of case - shaped, box, or bag, will affect the sound of the instrument.

None of which can be percieved by the listener/audience, other than the saxophone sounding "brighter or darker".

I'm going to buy one of these Kling-klangs...

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,152 Posts
There was a Lester Young discussion going on earlier today. I think that GAS money would be much better spent on a cool porkpie hat. You can't sound cool if you don't look cool. Nobody's going to notice that fancy klangbogen. It's amazing how something that attaches to the outside of the instrument is supposed to increase airflow. P.T. Barnum was right.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,152 Posts
I was curious and built my own versions using some brass rods and it cost me like $5 a piece. One was really heavy (3/8 " halfround), bent to wrap around about 1/3 of the neck circumference and it did not do anything. One was a 1/8 " and it tended to slightly vibrate/resonate with the horn. After going back and forth for a few months I ditched it in favor of "don't bother".

At $80 or so for a real Klangbogen my recommendation is to buy a few rounds of shots for the audience: "The more you drink, the better we sound"
Yes!

1 - 20 of 2226 Posts