Sax on the Web Forum banner

To blog or not to blog?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A major new version of vBulletin (4.0) is now available. With it comes a blogging function (Wikipedia definition) closely coupled with the forum. I have already purchased it, but I do not have to install it. :twisted:

I would like to get an idea of the interest level toward blogging on SOTW Forum.
thanks and Happy New Year,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
depends on who's blogging... I'd be open to at least try it, see if it works out then pull the plug if it gets out of hand.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
I haven't seen too many blogs worth keeping up with frankly, regardless of the topic. Most authors (and readers) very quickly lose interest and run out of material and motivation.

If the membership really want it and will use it it's worth considering, but I doubt it would end up being worthwhile.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
"Right now I am typing this as I sit on my easy chair in the living room. It is a brown chair.....no wait - it is actually tan! My grandfather had a tan chair. I have now moved to the dining room. I am typing a little more slowly now. It sure is cold outside! I like brown chairs. Hey - do any of you guys play the saxophone?"

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I think this would be a great idea...I've always wanted a blog but doubted anyone would read it. :D Maybe here I would get some views...

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
Personally I would look forward to reading certain authors on specific subjects.

Strictly off the top of my head Fader, Storm and Kofis-Grumps usually have some pretty interesting vignettes on gigging, and Neff and Pete have info on the teaching life. Others like Raphyael and Bill Bua are all over the world of buying and selling, with 10mfan specializing in the mpc market.

It would be pretty easy to track who the crowd-favorites are, simply by looking at number of visits to each blog. The question is more one of who would be able to sustain the page with on-going fresh material, or more importantly, who is able to commit the time to doing so.

Is there a down-side in giving it a shot?

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
I think I would put my apocalyptic science fiction sax story there, and keep adding to it.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I have a couple blogs for various things, none sax related (hell who would want to hear what I have to say about that) and as Mike said, it can be difficult to keep it going. I have so many irons in the fire it's hard not to get burnt.

As for here on sotw, with places like blogger, wordpress.com etc there are many free places people can blog if they feel so inclined. I don't see a reason for it here.

just my buck 3 eighty.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I haven't seen too many blogs worth keeping up with frankly, regardless of the topic. Most authors (and readers) very quickly lose interest and run out of material and motivation.

If the membership really want it and will use it it's worth considering, but I doubt it would end up being worthwhile.
+1

Thats what the hijack thread is for, isn't it ?

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts

I think some folks, writers and readers alike, would enjoy it. I keep a short bog going on my webpage. Typically to post some notes about whatever thing I last put out. I don't know if anyone really would want to and/or does read it. But it's there kinda like a journal if there is some interest in knowing more. I don't think I'd want to do one here on SOTW just 'cause I already have one. There are plenty of other posters here I would like to know more about. So this could give them a platform.

Just my humble opinion :D
TJ

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
I keep a blog. 'Tis true though, you can lost interest quickly. I only post when I think it means something - even then it might not. But inane rambling or ranting over stuff gets old quickly.

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Briefly, I wanted update on the status of the vBulletin upgrade:

Today I finally got it installed working on an old SOTW database. Luckily did not use the live one, because there is still a lot of work ahead, bending it to our current requirements.

Besides donations, this forum also needs advertisers for supporting the ongoing expenses. That involves some template changes and such I still have to figure out.

After that comes blogging and contents management.
Hang in there,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts