Votes: 4 30.8%
  • no - leave text as typed

Votes: 9 69.2%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the autocorrect function. There you have it. I don't think I am generally a rant person and certainly not much of a hater, but it just gets on my nerves to see all the garbage in my posts, which I know I didn't put there. My spelling is pretty good. My typing skills are admittedly rather awful, but I would much prefer to have the typos left in than autocorrected to some complete nonsense. It seems like the algorithms have evolved so that they know best what one intends to write. However, I think the net result is counter-productive. I wish it could be and would be switched off altogether.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Actually, I don't know.

I hate having it especially since I regularly have to type in 3 different languages. And I regularly have to correct everything by hand...

On the other hand, I observed that this behaviour (re-reading what I just wrote and correcting it if incorrect) is definitely _not_ the average behaviour : people tend to type as fast as they can and send, with no regard to what is sent (they probably assume their typing is correct... hem :D). Sometimes they send an erratum with some correction... (and this comes from observation on forums, IRC/any chat systems, texts, sometimes even e-mails !)

The primary explanation may be that we are all very keen to write our thinking, much less to read others'.
Couple that to some kind of laziness, and of course our personal talents with correct spelling, and disasters happen.

With that regard, the auto-correct mechanisms do kind of a great job.
Not because they are able to correct our spelling mistakes, though.
First, they make us more aware of these mistakes, and after a few horrible results, it 'teaches' a few to auto-correct themselves : to check and correct themselves what they wrote.
Second, reading a fussy message can be quite frustrating and annoying; the auto-correct, making things worse, balances the annoyance between reader and sender.

I hate it for myself, but perversely it also has some benefits... for those who are not incurably lazy.
So in the end, I don't know...

Anyhow, it seems to me that this 'feature' can always be deactivated...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If the autocorrect actually corrects "mistakes", I'm all for it. Unfortunately, autocorrect isn't always correct.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,668 Posts
WE don’t have an autocorrect funtion on the forum? Do we?

At least I am not aware of any of it. I don’t have it, never had one.

So obviously this is not a standard function of this forum.

I make my own mistakes.

If you have an autocorrect function working it must be on your own device.

There are no devices to my knowledge where this is automatic and cannot be deactivated .

Whatsapp in combination with Android keyboard functions has it too and tends to take over sometimes (especially on speech to text ) but that happens mostly if you have the keyboard set on a different language (I use at least 3).

Anyway, what’s wrong with a simple spelling checker?

My mac performs checks and I decide whether to adopt them or not.

·
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point - thanks! This never occurred to me. I thought it was embedded. I just checked and it indeed appears to be my Safari, which is what I mostly use for the forum.

Rather embarrassing and invalidates the thread, but it just made my life better. Hopefully, my ignorance will be of use to others.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
On my Mac while typing on a thread in SOTW there is no autocorrect but a word incorrectly spelled will be underlined.
Just like in grade school.
My phone is another matter.

·
Administrator
1,520 Posts
WE don't have an autocorrect funtion on the forum? Do we?

At least I am not aware of any of it. I don't have it, never had one.

So obviously this is not a standard function of this forum.

I make my own mistakes.

There are no devices to my knowledge where this is automatic and cannot be deactivated .

Whatsapp in combination with Android keyboard functions has it too and tends to take over sometimes (especially on speech to text ) but that happens mostly if you have the keyboard set on a different language (I use at least 3).

Anyway, what's wrong with a simple spelling checker?

My mac performs checks and I decide whether to adopt them or not.
We do not have anything native to the forum that would try to effect what you post in regards to spelling or grammar. These are all browser and operating system based.
-Philip

·
41,668 Posts
OP had noticed that himself (if you read above)

Good point - thanks! This never occurred to me. I thought it was embedded. I just checked and it indeed appears to be my Safari, which is what I mostly use for the forum.

Rather embarrassing and invalidates the thread, but it just made my life better. Hopefully, my ignorance will be of use to others.
why you quote me is a mystery to me...... I have explained to OP pretty much the same thing.

·
41,668 Posts
there is no point is shaming anyone but it will be nice if the staff would actually pay attention to the threads requiring their intervention by way of reading the thread.

If you go back there in threads of this nature this apparent detachment from the thread has happened before.

·
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about deleting the darn - meaningless - thread so my mistake isn't brought to the top of the pile every time you guys bicker? I am virtually always right, but in order fend of some of the wrath that my perfection instigates, I do make exceptions from time to time. However, no need to take excessively advantage or I will revert back to being always right.

·
Registered
569 Posts
How about deleting the darn - meaningless - thread so my mistake isn't brought to the top of the pile every time you guys bicker? I virtually always right, but in order fend of some of the wrath that my perfection instigates, I do make exceptions from time to time. However, no need to take excessively advantage or I will revert back to being always right.
"Being always right " is surely a way to foil autocorrect! Otherwise the machines win.
This is John Connor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts