Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SOTW,

It's been a bit, but I thought players here would be interested in this. I acquired a TM Custom Tenor (straight tone holes, medium bore neck, cognac lacquer) earlier this year, and it's become my main horn. Below is a link to the written review review as well as a video review and neck comparison video. Anyone else love the horn as much as I do?

http://everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com/2018/06/review-tm-custom-tenor-tenor-madness.html

·
Registered
Tenors: TM Custom; MkVI 96k and 124k
189 Posts
Nice playing, Ben!
You make some great observations about the TM Custom; I can’t wait to hear Randy’s latest iteration.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Charlie. Actually, this horn is the straight tone hole model, though I’m not sure if I have the new metal composition. Also, the GT neck from the neck comparison video is their new neck (though it’d be great for them to chime in and clarify). I’ll give them a call and figure it out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops I was mistaken. I have the straight tone hole version of the current 500SL model. The new horn will be completely different. It will also have a brand new neck. Hopefully, I’ll get to try one of those eventually.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have one of the newer TM Customs with (mostly) rolled tone holes that I got from Sax Alley in 2016. It's one of the best tenors I've ever played and for me a better option than a vintage Selmer as well. It has a more even sound and scale, as well as better intonation than any of the Taiwanese saxes I've played and most others as well. My main horns over the last 25 years have been a Yamaha 875 Custom (1993 - 2007) and a Phil Barone Classic (2008 -present). The TM feels like a combination of those two horns to me. The keywork is nearly as slick as the Yamaha's and it has a bigger sound more like my Barone, especially up in the palm keys where Mark VI and VI copies are always challenging for me. I tend to take my Barone on funk and rock gigs and the TM for jazz combo gigs where sound quality is more important to me than just volume.

I think more folks would own these if they had a chance to try them. I was lucky that Randy chose Sax Alley to be one of his handful of dealers in the country. Honestly, I wasn't looking for another horn and wouldn't have paid the money to get one mail-order before actually playing it. It's worth the premium you pay over an Eastman or P. Mauriat but it's hard to know that before trying one. Mine's unlacquered without the high F# but I'd really like to try a gold plated one to see how that compares.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
its a PMauriat 66r
Wow ... tough crowd! Ben's horn is straight tone hole and the P. Mauriat 66R is rolled. So definitely not the same. In fact, Ben's horn is more similar to an Ishimori Tenor than a P. Mauriat if you want to be technical.

Having been down this road before it seems pointless to try and point out differences between them as it didn't seem to work, so I'll try a different tactic.

Come out to the shop and see the process ... play the newest 500SL tenors and talk to us about saxophones! Bring your P. Mauriat and play it next to ours. I can't guarantee you will like our tenor more, but you will notice a large difference in the way they sound, respond and tune. I will even offer to cover your plane ticket cost to the shop!!!!

Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Thanks for the nice comprehensive review and information Ben!!! It's fabulous :) Not only do you sound great, but I can tell a lot of thought and work went into the videos and article.

Ben is correct ... he has the straight tone hole version of the 500SL model with a medium bore neck. He also made a nice comparison of the GT neck that is something we are still working on.

The new model tenor we were talking about in the other thread has NOTHING to do with this horn or any other TM's ever seen before. Different factory, different tooling, different metal composition, different wall thickness of brass, different tone hole dimensions, different neck. Literally, different everything. They are meant to compliment each other and NOT play a like or sound a like. It will still have a lot of the same build / set-up process with some key differences.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great review - the more I see and read about these horns, the more compelled I am to give them a try myself.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a PMauriat 66r
I've owned a 66R and two of the main differences are that the 66R didn't have as much core in the sound and it was less resistant, in my opinion a little too free-blowing. My guess is that the rolled vs. straight tone holes are a huge part of that, and I bet the neck design also contributes.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words.

10MFan, nice to run into you online! I've come a little ways since that first time I came and tried mouthpieces at your place/shop. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts