Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for about 2 months now, i have been debating between these 2 pieces. i love the link vibe, but from the soundclips that ive heard, the TM link sounds thin/bright. The Warburton has a nice thick sound to it, but doesn't have as much of the link vibe as i'd like. Basically, im looking for something with that link graininess with a thick and dark sound. I've only heard two different people playing the Warburton J, so i may be mistaken. Does anyone have any suggestions? im losing sleep(literally) over this.:cry:

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Spend some time with each mouthpiece. Put one of the other mouthpieces away or give it to someone to hold for you so you aren't tempted to play test yourself to death. Give one of the piece a fair chance--say, 2-4 weeks maybe even a few months. Find reeds that really suit that mouthpiece and practice on it. Record yourself on it after you've gotten used it and can make it do what you want it to do. If it's any consolation, I haven't heard anyone sound thin/bright on a TM Link...

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree that you should try both. I've tried both and they offer the same general sound concept but vary in the way they get there. It would be a difficult and personal choice to decide which one works best for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
The sound clip of jay thomas demonstrating a TM EB doesn't really paint a good picture, somehow that sounds a bit thin indeed. It must have been the recording equipment because these pieces aren't thin at all. I absolutely love mine. I think the Joel Frahm clip is more accurate soundwise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the intonation sounds quite poor on the otto link? is this true or am i just imagining this? right now im slightly leaning towards the TM link because i feel like i may regret the Warburton J. also, im not currently in a position to try out both pieces, unfortunately.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why would you regret the Warburton? Those pieces are made by a respected craftsman and have been reviewed positively. The TM Link has a bunch of good reviews as well BUT something everyone is failing to point out is that they are still made by Babbitt!

When I'm looking for a new piece I always favor pieces that are hand crafted over machine faced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,393 Posts
You could sell both of them and get a Ted Klum focustone hand made....you might not ever need another piece again....just food for thought

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,971 Posts
The Jay Thomas clip is on youtube. Youtube compresses the audio when you put a video file up. I tried putting a few mouthpiece clips on youtube and it ruined the sound so much that I took them off. It compresses them so they all basically sound the same to my ears.

As far as the mouthpieces, they are both great choices. I think you nailed the differences in your description. The EB can give you power and volume. There is also a range of bright to dark. If you call Tenor Madness you can request one that leans towards what you want. The Warburton is thicker and meatier sounding to me. A bit darker. It could get loud but not as loud as I could get the EB. That's probably because of the higher rollover baffle. You really have to try them. Don't they have a return policy? Order one and if you don't like it send it back and order the other. It really is a personal preference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad is sort of fed with me trying all these mouthpieces. iv tried and shipped back atleast 20 or so now. i reaaaally don't want to bug him anymore than i have to, which would be buying ANOTHER mouthpiece. so i must make a definite decision. Right now, the positives of the Warburton J really outweigh that of the TM link. Warburton is cheaper(though price is not an issue), is darker, and from what i can tell, has better intonation. However, i really like the link sound, and the way they blow is really comfortable to me. Is the warburton similar to the link in those regards? since some people have stated the online sound quality issues, i might not have picked up on them.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
My dad is sort of fed with me trying all these mouthpieces. iv tried and shipped back atleast 20 or so now. i reaaaally don't want to bug him anymore than i have to, which would be buying ANOTHER mouthpiece. so i must make a definite decision. Right now, the positives of the Warburton J really outweigh that of the TM link. Warburton is cheaper(though price is not an issue), is darker, and from what i can tell, has better intonation. However, i really like the link sound, and the way they blow is really comfortable to me. Is the warburton similar to the link in those regards? since some people have stated the online sound quality issues, i might not have picked up on them.
The Warburton will be easier to play for the simple reason that it has a flat table and is carefully hand made by a single person. Those TMEB's have the same issues as the regular current production Otto Link: concave table and uneven facing. However I feel, having played both, that the TMEB is a mouthpiece that is much more versatile once you learn how to drive it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've read/head over and over that the TMEB's are very consistent. I'm not really understanding how they can be both made by babbitt AND consistent. as far as the shape of the sound, im leaning towards the Warburton, but i reaaly like the link graininess. does the Warburton have any link-ness to it?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I've read/head over and over that the TMEB's are very consistent. I'm not really understanding how they can be both made by babbitt AND consistent. as far as the shape of the sound, im leaning towards the Warburton, but i reaaly like the link graininess. does the Warburton have any link-ness to it?
They are consistent in their dimensions and baffle profile. They also consistently have a concave table. It's not really an issue if you don't pay attention to it.

FWIW, the TM probably has more of this Link-ness you're talking about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts