Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can honestly say that I can be as skeptical as anyone else on this forum, so I really felt compelled to make a post here talking about the new saxophone I bought. I was sitting there one afternoon talking with a good friend of mine and I should add he is one great player. We were talking just about horns in general and he said you have to try the TK Melody saxophone. He told me that it is made in Taiwan, and I was initially skeptical but I trust my friend so I told him I would try them out. And WOW, am I glad I did that.

We took a ride down the NYS Thruway to visit the distributor of the horn, Rich Maraday one afternoon. I was very impressed by Rich from the beginning, he had a literal "buffet" of horns out for us. He told me to try a Harlem Nocturne antique bronze tenor first, and from the first note I was hooked. This horn blows my mind. The sound quality is unique and full of color. It reminds me of a cross between an early Mark VI and a Conn 10M. The response is amazing, I just look at the horn and can't believe it. Naturally, I decided to take the horn home. And to combat excitement from buying a new toy, wanted to play this horn at home as well.

Now I have had the horn for two months, and I am still as thrilled as the moment I picked it up. And this horn plays this way right out of the box, I haven't even taken it to my tech yet to get it fully set up. I can't even imagine what it will play like then. It is so good that I have decided after 15 years of being a die hard Selmer player to sell my Mark VI horns. I have a killing Mark VI tenor from the mid 60's and I haven't even had the urge to play it since I got the TK. Now I am not a crazy person coming on here saying that TK is better than the Mark VI. I would say that it is as good, but it is a completely different horn with different things going on.

I also have a TK Melody Harlem Nocturne antique bronze low A baritone sax on order, so I will post a review of that horn as soon as it arrives.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
YEP! They are exceptionally good horns regardless of the money. I bought my soprano, alto and tenor from the previous owner of Viking-Instruments almost two years ago and gig them at least two nights/three time this week plus rehearsals with two bands, pick up gigs and a solo act.

Believe this or not, I have NEVER had the tenor adjusted since taking out of the plastic wrap and it is perfect. The alto took some time to get acquainted with but the soprano is perfect and the horns are built to last. Congrats on your purchases.

B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man..I appreciate it. And yes, I forgot to even mention that the tenor cost a FRACTION of what one of the top brands would these days. My friend that suggested the horn plays his Yardbird tenor probably 3 hours a day on average for 2 plus years, and it has held up very well.

-Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a TKM Yardbird Tenor Friday, and yeah... wow, really nice horn. I tried it a few weeks ago and just had to get one. I've been a JK and Selmer player for many years. I used to play a mid 60's VI and currently have a Ref 54, and several early JK SX-90r's tenors from the 80's as well as a Shadow Tenor. So I'm used to pretty good horns. The tone of this horn, to me is somewhere between the Selmer and JK. Closer to Selmer, but with something else going on, like a centered core with a little bigger deeper tone with more overtones than my Ref. Key work is quieter than any of my horns, even the Shadow which has fantastic key work. Effortless down to Bb and up to high D altissimo. There's nothing I can't do on this horn that I can do on the others. Except the JK's are a litte bigger tone and a little more free blowing. The bore on this horn is bigger than the Selmer and smaller than the Keilwerths, just like the tone. Exceptional horn for the money.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
I just bought a TKM Yardbird Tenor Friday, and yeah... wow, really nice horn. I tried it a few weeks ago and just had to get one. I've been a JK and Selmer player for many years. I used to play a mid 60's VI and currently have a Ref 54, and several early JK SX-90r's tenors from the 80's as well as a Shadow Tenor. So I'm used to pretty good horns. The tone of this horn, to me is somewhere between the Selmer and JK. Closer to Selmer, but with something else going on, like a centered core with a little bigger deeper tone with more overtones than my Ref. Key work is quieter than any of my horns, even the Shadow which has fantastic key work. Effortless down to Bb and up to high D altissimo. There's nothing I can't do on this horn that I can do on the others. Except the JK's are a litte bigger tone and a little more free blowing. The bore on this horn is bigger than the Selmer and smaller than the Keilwerths, just like the tone. Exceptional horn for the money.
Another one, yeah!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after a very patient wait...the TK Melody Harlem Nocturne Low A Baritone sax has arrived at my home. I will be posting pictures very shortly and will review it fully as soon as I have it adjusted by my tech. MY first impression though is that the horn is absolutely beautiful and it DEFINITELY has a huge sound. Stay tuned....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
Well after a very patient wait...the TK Melody Harlem Nocturne Low A Baritone sax has arrived at my home. I will be posting pictures very shortly and will review it fully as soon as I have it adjusted by my tech. MY first impression though is that the horn is absolutely beautiful and it DEFINITELY has a huge sound. Stay tuned....
Congrats on the bari purchase. I can only dream at this point but I am looking forward to seeing what you think and please post pictures.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
I am very impressed with the horns coming out of taiwan,they have really figured it out in the last decade.The Cball & PM horns were the first ones I tried but the maxtone,saxgourmet,TKmelody,cadeson Etc are all great horns for the price.
Dont get me wrong,I still love my 3 selmers & my JK but the horns coming from taiwan now are not far behind....I wonder if the big 3 can feel the heat?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
I am very impressed with the horns coming out of taiwan,they have really figured it out in the last decade.The Cball & PM horns were the first ones I tried but the maxtone,saxgourmet,TKmelody,cadeson Etc are all great horns for the price.
Some are great horns no matter the price imho.

B

·
Registered
232 Posts
Some are great horns no matter the price imho.

B
In agreement with Hunk and Modman. I still have my original tk ipanema alto and my maxtone sx59. Both great horns (Ultra inexpensive at the time) :)

I will probably keep them, but selling off my remaining altos and tenors (keeping the tk tenor and sx58 tenor maxtone). After 23 years my employer finally closing down our dept. :cry: Guess a 6 month vacation is on tap to the wifes fam in philippines and hong kong this summer.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
I too took the plunge!

I found a Harlem Nocturn curved soprano on ebay from a sotw member and it closed early Saturday during the 4th of July weekend and no one bid on it. I won it for $605.00 shipped. It arrives Thursday or Friday. It will be going up against a Bauhaus Walstein curvie I picked up for a gig. I sold a CB stone series, then ended up getting a cool soprano gig. Now, we will see if the hype is warranted. I hope I have read on the thread and others is accurate.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
I too took the plunge!

I found a Harlem Nocturn curved soprano on ebay from a sotw member and it closed early Saturday during the 4th of July weekend and no one bid on it. I won it for $605.00 shipped. It arrives Thursday or Friday. It will be going up against a Bauhaus Walstein curvie I picked up for a gig. I sold a CB stone series, then ended up getting a cool soprano gig. Now, we will see if the hype is warranted. I hope I have read on the thread and others is accurate.
That is my old horn. I was the original purchaser. I just did not take to playing curved soprano.

It is a very nice horn.

B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,509 Posts
I can honestly say that I can be as skeptical as anyone else on this forum, so I really felt compelled to make a post here talking about the new saxophone I bought. I was sitting there one afternoon talking with a good friend of mine and I should add he is one great player. We were talking just about horns in general and he said you have to try the TK Melody saxophone. He told me that it is made in Taiwan, and I was initially skeptical but I trust my friend so I told him I would try them out. And WOW, am I glad I did that.

We took a ride down the NYS Thruway to visit the distributor of the horn, Rich Maraday one afternoon. I was very impressed by Rich from the beginning, he had a literal "buffet" of horns out for us. He told me to try a Harlem Nocturne antique bronze tenor first, and from the first note I was hooked. This horn blows my mind. The sound quality is unique and full of color. It reminds me of a cross between an early Mark VI and a Conn 10M. The response is amazing, I just look at the horn and can't believe it. Naturally, I decided to take the horn home. And to combat excitement from buying a new toy, wanted to play this horn at home as well.

Now I have had the horn for two months, and I am still as thrilled as the moment I picked it up. And this horn plays this way right out of the box, I haven't even taken it to my tech yet to get it fully set up. I can't even imagine what it will play like then. It is so good that I have decided after 15 years of being a die hard Selmer player to sell my Mark VI horns. I have a killing Mark VI tenor from the mid 60's and I haven't even had the urge to play it since I got the TK. Now I am not a crazy person coming on here saying that TK is better than the Mark VI. I would say that it is as good, but it is a completely different horn with different things going on.

I also have a TK Melody Harlem Nocturne antique bronze low A baritone sax on order, so I will post a review of that horn as soon as it arrives.
Did you get your TK Baritone yet?

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Here's my 2 cents on the Harlem Nocturn curved soprano:

I love how it looks. I like the case. I like the ergo's The construction and build is very good. I have a Bauhaus Walstein curved soprano and I like it a bit more. The sound is darker with the BW and that's a good thing on soprano. I wouldn't sell the TK if it played the same as my BW does because I like the horn a lot, but I prefer a darker sound, so the BW stays. I think the term is apples and apples. No oranges here. These are two great horns and either one would be a fine choice and both are a lot better than most I have played. You would have to step up to a Yanagisawa and spend 3k to beat either one.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Ok where can I buy the Bauhaus Walstein went to the website couldn't find prices or even where to purchase it oh well

Doug and its for a student too

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I will have New Yard Bird , Harlem Nocturn and Ipanema dark Laq Altos in stock in a week all fully engraved. Also Dark Laq Ipanema Tenors and Harlem Nocturn Antique Brush Bronze. We have 3 amazing Yardbird tenors in stock as well. viking-instruments.com 845-361-:9353 :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I will have New Yard Bird , Harlem Nocturn and Ipanema dark Laq Altos in stock in a week all fully engraved. Also Dark Laq Ipanema Tenors and Harlem Nocturn Antique Brush Bronze. We have 3 amazing Yardbird tenors in stock as well. viking-instruments.com 845-361-:9353 :mrgreen:
Do you have a store front?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts