Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my New TK Melody tenor today. The sax plays WAY WAY better now, it was in dire need of adjusting. This is a great sax. Fun to play, even scale, VERY free blowing, projects very well, excellent erogs, not stuffy at all, keywork is beautiful, and the finish is very nice with fancy engraving down to the bow. I feel very good about my purchase!

I had the opportunity to A-B this tenor against a Hollywood Winds tenor in the shop, clearly identical keywork wiht minor differences, same case, same laquer and style of engraving. Once you get beneath the surface, this is a very different tenor, however. The Hollywood neck does not fit the TK Melody body at all, it is swimmingly loose. The sound characteristics are similar with the TK being a bit brighter, but the resistance and free blowing charateristics of the TK are definitely superior. Keep in mind both are finely adjusted. The TK is noticable heavier with its double arms in the low keys and extra TK Melody sign soldered onto the upper stack ribbing. Now the real comparison is with my MK Vl tenor. Yes, the 86K MK Vl is a more colorful, flexible and free blowing horn, but it doesn't blow the TK away. The Mk Vl i had an amazing overhaul by my tech and the neck, which had no laquer left, was hand polished and lightly silver plated. There is about 60% remaining laquer on the Selmer body. Putting the Selmer neck on the TK did open/brighten the sound up a bit. I am going to strip the neck of the TK Melody and have it lightly silver plated also. I have experienced this to be a real help in allowing other horns to "open up." The bottom line is, the TK Melody is a winner, no question, and comparing anything to my Selmer is not terribly fair. I believe that modifying the neck will help, but as it is the tenor is really nice. In the next couple of weeks I should have some more opportunities to compare it to other new saxes. This is really a very high quality sax, and I am looking forward to gigging with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Appreciate the update and follow-up.
I am still waiting for the the tech to finish my setup/adjustment on my alto tk melody. Probably next week (he's been swamped)

He had never seen the tk melody yet. He was impressed with its build quality.
Actually, 3 or 4 other people there started asking questions about it.

He did mention that is was certanly in need of adjustments (lower keys/stack) probably from shipping and direct manufacture non-setup from factory.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
TK Melody tenor day 2

Playing this sax is lots of fun. I like it even better today and feeling increasingly positive about my purchase. I raised the key heights on the low notes, and that opened up the bottom of the horn even more. The sax is very lively and just a lot of fun and easy to play. It is considerably heavier than my Mk Vl, and feels bigger in my hands for sure. There is a good flexibility inthe sound and Im realy able to be expressive with it. Dynamic range is better than I thought yesterday, and the original neck is in fact better than the MK Vl on this horn and plays very responsively. I would love to try one without an F#, but this horn is FINE just as it is! As the Ebay add read a while back, "dont let the big brand rob you!":D

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
258 Posts
I'm not affiliated with LateNiteSax at all, but I like his review! :D

I'll be selling the T.K. Melody saxophones in the US; see my announcement in a separate thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts