Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been rehearsing for about two months now with an excellent young and talented pianist Mark Robinson on a duo act. We played our first gig last night at a graduation event. Not all went perfect. We still have work to do, but we had our moments. The audience gave us some nice compliments still and we got a chance at another gig for a birthday party. I've played countless Blues and Rock gigs over the years on guitar, keys and sax. But this was different. This time is the my first crack at a pure Jazz act just on tenor. Big shoes to fill :shock:

Just for reference, I took a video camera along and set it up on side of the stage. No big production. This will something I'll be laughing at a year from now :D

Your comments are welcome. Check it out :)

Song For My Father
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xMG9zpdTTqs

Summertime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPo7i-_hc2E

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
tjontheroad said:
This will something I'll be laughing at a year from now :D
I had to tape over my first performance because I didn't want to be reminded of it and I didn't want anyone else to ever see it.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agent27 said:
I had to tape over my first performance because I didn't want to be reminded of it and I didn't want anyone else to ever see it.
I don't care much if others see it. There was about 60 people there anyway. Might as well let everyone in on my progress or lack of :D ;)

·
3,875 Posts
I'm sure you already know, but you really need to work on your time and your tone production/intonation/air support.

But kudos for putting yourself out there and taking chances.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agent27 said:
I'm sure you already know, but you really need to work on your time and your tone production/intonation/air support.

But kudos for putting yourself out there and taking chances.
Yep, I know you gotta start somewhere :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
tjontheroad said:
This will something I'll be laughing at a year from now :D
Yup - but that's how you progress.

I would suggest that you try to get a bass player to help with the rhythmic element. It's actually quite hard to keep the tempo constant in a duet especially as saxophonists tend to be used to having someone else keeping time. Having a bassist will help both of you concentrate on the main aspects of your playing - improv, tone etc. It will also inprove the balance of the group.

Otherwise, well done.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have you considered trying some slightly softer reeds? It may just be the recording, but I hear lots of attack on each note, but that attack is not always supported throughout the tone. If you practiced with the softest reed that you can play, I think you will find that you can use a much more subtle articulation (basically, no tongue involved at all) and allow your airstream to start the reed. Unfortunately, its just not a whole lot of fun to blow long tones into a tuner, but will help, esp on ballads, etc. Keep it up....I know that I am not where I want to be either, but it helps to just get out and play!

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
docformat said:
Yup - but that's how you progress.

I would suggest that you try to get a bass player to help with the rhythmic element. It's actually quite hard to keep the tempo constant in a duet especially as saxophonists tend to be used to having someone else keeping time. Having a bassist will help both of you concentrate on the main aspects of your playing - improv, tone etc. It will also inprove the balance of the group.

Otherwise, well done.
I'd love to get a bassist. OTOH, I think it this stage, adding another member would would just complicate things. So that'll be down the road sometime.

bkiser said:
Have you considered trying some slightly softer reeds? It may just be the recording, but I hear lots of attack on each note, but that attack is not always supported throughout the tone. If you practiced with the softest reed that you can play, I think you will find that you can use a much more subtle articulation (basically, no tongue involved at all) and allow your airstream to start the reed. Unfortunately, its just not a whole lot of fun to blow long tones into a tuner, but will help, esp on ballads, etc. Keep it up....I know that I am not where I want to be either, but it helps to just get out and play!
Part of my lack of air is from the time of year. This time of year I get hit hard with allergies. Basically, I'm all stuffed up that night. When I can get a full lung-full of air my tone gets much better. No reed change is needed.

Thanks for watching

·
6,862 Posts
bkiser said:
Have you considered trying some slightly softer reeds? It may just be the recording, but I hear lots of attack on each note, but that attack is not always supported throughout the tone.
Hey TJ,

I was going to suggest the same thing, but never mind:)

Rory

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
TJ,

Just watched, and then read the posts.

Coming here & inviting criticism takes more
cojones even than playing out; you got 'em!

Watching, it soon seemed like you
might be suffering breathing trouble,
making it difficult for you.

I agree with Tryptykon that you
express a nice feel.

A bassist (preferably upright) is a
wonderful luxury like docformat says
and I just love the sound.
But I sort of like sloppy timing, and
think intonation (horns!) is a higher
priority for most of us. Take that
with a grain of salt cause my own ear is tin.

Carry on man, congratulations on your
first duo gig.

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
danarsenault said:
For all the considerable distance you have yet to go, this shows improvement over earlier examples of yours, so bravo. I agree with softer reeds.

I've been working hard at it. Miles to go...................

I'll be visiting Roberto's this Saturday. So, I'll take y'alls advice and go try a 3 soft. I've tried 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 strength reeds before. The sound was just way too thin.

I also play bass. Better than I do sax. I know it could add much in rhythm feel and free up Mark's left hand. Once we feel we have a full 5-6 sets down, adding a bassist and even drummer/percussionist will be in the cards. Finding the right players will not be easy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah, kudos for gettin out and playing.

But you were all over the place. Summertime was more out of tune than in. And the rhythmic feel was not so much loose as it was careless. I know, I know, you're just starting. But that was my immediate reaction.

Keep pluggin away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts