Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I like collecting these old silver Buescher c-melodys on ebay... was fortunate in that the one I bought works reasonably fine as-is, and had the original c-mel mp with it. I've played alto 30+ years, just starting this year for first time w/C-melody.

I like the quieter (some say stuffy?) tone, it's like a muted tenor sort of, a nice contrast to my yas-62 yamaha alto, which is bright and clear. I like the warm fuzzy gently smooth sound of this, will be great for playing Harlem Nocturne and Giant Steps. Hey is it true they came out with these back in the 20s for parents to not have to listen to teenage sons loud honking on horns, so this was introduced as a quieter alternative?

For those of you who've been playing c-mels for years, any tips on mastering these, beyond standard how to play sax tips? I'm finding the high D etc palm keys are too close to the body to play easily, so I'll probably add extenders for a little more reach. Main thing I'm trying to get is clear, warm tones across the range -- let me know if any insights, much appreciated -

thanks,

ken

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,136 Posts
I find the best solution is to get a good modern C Melody mouthpiece. I have a Morgan 5 and it really works well on the C. Before that I used my standard Selmer Atlo mouthpiece. If you are really into the C melodies, pick up a Conn straight neck and a Martin as I prefer these to the Bueschers. Everyone has a favorite.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I like to play my Buescher with Tenor mouthpieces. I use a Link STM or a Saxscape FatCat. I don't like the "dying duck" tone of the original mouthpiece, even when opened and re-faced, and the modern C mouthpieces, although better and in tone, didn't have the sound i wanted.
I get good intonation with these Tenor pieces, with minor embouchure adjustments.
I am used to the keys, since my alto and tenor are also TT from the same era.

·
Registered
398 Posts
my '22 Conn straight neck is very comfortable sizewise, key wise and playing position. only complaints are the neckstrap key ring placement, AKA, front tooth remover :) and the front Bb alt key is a bit of a reach when you're used to a close reach modernish alto. For mouthpieces, I wanted to try the morgan but since it is nearly the cost of a vintage c mel horn, i couldn't justify but started on a tenor metalite [great volume and projection but lousy intonation for me]..purchased a faxx reproduction...didn't like it and a couple of others including alto and tenor peices but never happy with them. Since the 22 conn eagle piece seemed to be the only way i could play in tune across the range, I ordered an aquila wide body metal piece and really like it. It doesnt have the punch of the metalite or the vintage alto level air but the sound is classic c-mel, intonation is spot on, and it has enough projection unless you are busking outside or something..in that case, i would just use a Bb tenor or Eb alto.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I ordered a aquila C melody wide body metal piece. It still was to closed for me. It's in perfect shape if you want it.
Just give me $15.00 and it's yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts