Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on Christian Lauba's Salsa etude, which asks for slap-tongued 16ths at quarter = 126 (it actually asks for 16th sextuplets at the tempo as well, but everyone I've listened to either slows down for that or just double tongues). I can't seem to get my slap tongue much faster than 16ths at quarter = 76. I've been practicing by trying to slap with less and less tongue under the mouthpiece, and by just drilling with a metronome. I'd be happy if I could get it up to 116 or 112 even. Does anyone have tips for getting slap tongue faster?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
You may have reached your 'speed limit'. We all have one. Some are faster than others.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Keep your mouth shut, and minimize the range of distance your tongue is moving. You can get the pop with less effort. You can also increase your speed by training your muscles to work precisely at 20 bpm. Do quarter notes to 16ths. If you're bored out of your mind, you're doing it right. Keep moving the speed up 10 bpm. Keep staying there until you're able to hold the tempo accurately for prolonged periods of time. If you start stumbling, go and do something else for 10 minutes. Come back to the same tempo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
The faster I go the more my slap tongue fades to just a hard tongue until all I got left for really fast is really light.

Good luck pushing that pops per minute limit!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Amazing! His virtuosity reminds me of Tommy Emmanuel's unorthodox use of taps, slaps and harmonics playing acoustic guitar. I was going to listen to a few seconds to get the gist of what the OP was going for. I couldn't stop listening. Like I said, AMAZING.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, everyone! We'll see what I'm able to do, and worse case I just won't program it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts