Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I play both tenor Sax (currently in a hiphop/funk/rock band) and flute (currently jamming on latin and jazz standards with a couple of guys).

Because I live in a mid-terrace house and have neighbours with young children I tend not to play the saxophone in the house. This means I can't practice it every day. But I do practice flute daily and I am using this instrument to develop my improvisation and musicianship skills with. There is a lot of cross-over though and I find that the flute practice benefits both instruments.

What it doesn't improve though is embouchure and for this reason I practice the embouchure on my saxophone mouthpiece in the car nearly every day. When I do practice sax (about once a week not including band rehearsal). I try to focus on longtones, overtones and high/low-end-of-register stuff (which is where the sax playing differs the most from flute.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with their doubling? Can anyone offer any further tips or advice on how to keep up with the various elements involved in each instrument???

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I used to have the very same problem and still do to an extent. What I would say is you can play the saxophone very quietly and still stay in touch with the horn as quiet if not quieter than the flute if you try . I actually caused a neighbour to move house many years ago because of my constant flute practice day and night. I was doing my grades. You could try muting the sax too wit a sock or commercial mute, playing into a wardrobe.
The only real answer if you want to play full blooded sax is get a quiet room, live in a detached house or come to an understanding with your neighbour about when you play and stop...they might surprise you with their understanding.

My next door neighbour teaches meditation in her house and we came to an understanding . She just asks me not to play at certain times. Good Luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses and thanks for the link to the flute lessons and the advice, Gordon. Theres a lot there so I will probably come back and revisit that article several times.

I think in some ways I answered my own question in the original post: I can't practice sax as often as I'd like so when I do get to practice, I prioritise those skills that will have suffered the most (ie embouchre and upper (palm key)/ lower (below low C) register stuff). I find practicing flute daily gets me all the musicianship progression that I am looking for, it benefits my musicainship as a whole (therefore this includes sax) and I'm really enjoying this instrument (flute) to boot! I also play keyboard at home, sing in the car and walking to work and I practice drumming out rhythms using table/knee/belly drums (ie tapping on these surfaces!) as I emphatically believe these practices contibute to the improvement of ones overall musicianship!

What I'm not looking for is a solution that would enable me to play the saxophone more often (I have accepted that my current living situation does not make this practical and am not looking for ways to mute/silence my saxophone etc); I'm hoping to find more efficient and cleverer ways to practice during my limited weekly sessions on the sax, or while on the mouthpiece in my car, or at other times, that will help me overall to keep up a good saxophone sound and playing facility and improve musically in general. Anyone got any further ideas (I am hoping this can also help others who are in a similar situation)..?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts