Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this been discussed before? I wonder if there is a chart to compare modern and vintage Link tip sizes. I have owned and played a couple of vintage Links over the years, and nearly all of them had tip sizes that did not live up to modern Links.
This is what I had and remember:

Metal Florida no USA 10*, effective tip size 0.115
Hard Rubber Florida Slant 8 (number on shank), e.t.s. 0.107
Metal Florida Double Ring 10, e.t.s. 0.110

What I still have and will keep for now is the Florida Double Ring 9 I got from Sakshama which is 0.110. I found this offer of a NY Double Ring 9* (tip size on table):

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?358088-Otto-Link-Double-ring-9*-for-tenor

It says the tip size is 0.120.
I have heard say vintage Links are inconsistent concerning tip size, but can they vary that much?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I have now and have had other Link STM Tenor and Baritone pieces, particularly from the Florida era, and have found them to be quite true to size.
No USA and USA as well as Early Babbitt Pieces have and do measure true or close to it.
I have little to no experience with the Hard Rubber pieces though.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
First of all, it depends on the era as to the tip sizes.

The NY era pieces actually had different tip measurings slightly than the Florida era. I believe Theo has a fairly accurate chart on this.

Once you get to the Florida pieces, they are pretty darn consistent in original tips. Same for EBs and the newer ones.

I'd bet the ones you had that were off were probably not original.

The double ring link you posted is not original. I'm 100% on that. It was worked on by Erik G.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
7,904 Posts
First of all, it depends on the era as to the tip sizes.

The NY era pieces actually had different tip measurings slightly than the Florida era. I believe Theo has a fairly accurate chart on this.

Once you get to the Florida pieces, they are pretty darn consistent in original tips. Same for EBs and the newer ones.

I'd bet the ones you had that were off were probably not original.

The double ring link you posted is not original. I'm 100% on that. It was worked on by Erik G.

Does it also look to you like that Double Ring 9* has been opened too far allowing the bite plate to show through on the left rail?
Actually this piece looks quite damaged in the tip area to me, but it may just be the photos.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Does it also look to you like that Double Ring 9* has been opened too far allowing the bite plate to show through on the left rail?
Actually this piece looks quite damaged in the tip area to me, but it may just be the photos.
This piece has been altered a lot. Bite plate is showing through as well as it having been shortened a decent bit. Probably was near destroyed before Erik saved it to some semblance of a mouthpiece.

·
7,904 Posts
This piece has been altered a lot. Bite plate is showing through as well as it having been shortened a decent bit. Probably was near destroyed before Erik saved it to some semblance of a mouthpiece.

That’s what I thought.
Eric does do great work, but it’s a shame this piece was so far gone before he got it.
Strangely I didn’t notice any mention of the previous damage or Eric’s work to the piece in the listing.
I guess the seller forgot.?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your helpful comments and especially to Mojo for his very informative chart.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
This blog shows a chart of Link tip openings prepared by Mr. Eric Brand for a 1938 Selmer U.S.A. publication (fourth photo). Link metal tenor pieces of the era (probably the Tone Master) are shown at the top of the page and Link rubber tenor pieces (probably the Reso-Chamber) are shown at the bottom. Since Mr. Brand was also giving the lay measurements, it is likely that these are actual measurements rather than anything copied from Link advertising. Plus, Link advertising at the time simply said things like a Link #5 was "Open," and gave no measurements.

Mr. Brand's chart shows that a Link metal #5 had a different tip opening than a Link rubber #5. The measurements are so different that it seems "outside the margin of error" if they were intended to be the same tip opening. Since there is nothing that prevents a maker from unilaterally changing what a #5 tip opening will be on each model (or each model year), it is possible that what we consider to be accurate tip opening charts are really ballpark figures spanning an era. Sort of like the "Close, Medium, and Open" designations that were traditionally used. When the tradition changes, "Close, Medium, and Open" were different measurements.

For instance, shortly after Mr. Brand published his chart, Otto Link added to his list the Super Open "Hawkins Special" (a Link #6 which was a .090 inch tip opening). By today's standards, that would probably be called something like a Medium Close. It appears that there has been some Link "tip opening creep" over the years and the only way to really know is just measure the tip.

Mark

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
I have seen about 10 original Double Rings and they are not consistent with the modern Otto Link scale. They run smaller than the number. 9* would be about .110-.112, 9 around .108-.110, 8 around .100 and so on.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
I suspect if they do any measuring and sorting of tip opening prior to stamping them, they may be using wand type tip gauges. As these wear they slide in farther and give you erroneous tip readings that are higher than what they really are.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Sebastian, this is exactly what I found out with my Double Rings and early Florida no U.S.A. mouthpieces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts