Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never sure when it’s going to happen, but it always does.
I find it interesting, that players preferred tip openings in terms of straight ahead lower/medium height baffles pieces for tenor in particular, seem to change every couple of years, on the more modern pieces. Of course there are players that like all of the different tip openings, but I do find trends to be very common. I went through a very big spurt with my 10mfan mouthpieces, where I was selling 95% or so, in tips 7*-8*.
Now, I am seeing way more players ordering smaller tips than those than ever before.
So many 6, 6*, and 7’s. Even with the dealers that I use, they are starting to order these smaller tips in comparison to what they were always ordering before. It’s always interesting to watch these changes.
When I first started selling my mouthpieces, I offered up to a 12* tip opening and I actually sold a lot of mouthpieces in particular, between 9* and 10*.
Now, I am finding that 6-7* is way more hot for me, than 8-10*.

It always seems to go in spurts. I have people coming over the house all the time to try out mouthpieces and the smaller sizes are definitely more hot for me right now. I personally have gone to a small tip opening over the last year, and love it, (from a 10* to a 6), but it’s always interesting to follow the changing curve.

Never know when it’s going to happen, but it always seems to happen. I’ve been selling mouthpieces for 35 years, and these waves always seem to be there. Maybe it’s some heavyweight player that goes to a certain size and everyone starts jumping on it for some reason, you never know.
There was a time when I couldn’t sell but a few mouthpieces from 6-7. Now, they are hot again here.
8-10* sales are way slower.

Altos seem to stay more even.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You are talking about new orders I guess, but it makes me think about all those old Links, Dukoffs etc opened to 8, 9, etc.
i assume we will now be seeing insane prices for original facing 5s and 6s, right?

On alto it is not uncommon to see people who say they are playing .090, even .100. Given what Bird and Cannonball played, don't you think big tipism also kind of hit the alto, too?
However, what about the relation of tip opening to design? People seem to prefer high baffle/large tip combinations. Do you see a corresponding change in taste aling with the move to small tips?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I am talking about lower/medium height baffles. Yes, higher baffle players like bigger tips.
I am talking about newer order pieces. Vintage pieces are what they are. You won't see any prices going up on small tip pieces, I wouldn't guess, , its just an observation I see in the marketplace on modern pieces.
I will be offering my pieces in 5* and up tips, except the Black Widow will start at a 7. I'm getting a Showtime for myself in a 5* this coming week. CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT OUT!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
1. I suppose that human nature being what it is, fashion and fad impact mpc choice as much as clothes, cars, food, and most other interests and endeavors.

2. The influence of the internet is huge. An article in a magazine down the basement of the music department, along with the scuttlebutt in the barroom and backstage talk was about the limit in my day. It was just rumor.

Folk learned that some players had huge tip openings and very high baffles. Decided to check that stuff out. All the dust has started to settle and, after a generation of internet, the average is settling back to something closer to what it was before.

3. Mpc design moves from a) original tiny tip huge chamber to b) medium tip medium chamber to c) huge tip small chamber to d) lots of combinations involving various shapes of floors and chambers ----- Since sax players went from no choice to a million choices, the range available for testing and the operation of fashion popularity gets nearly unlimited.

4.When I was in college there was a dreadful, harmful myth, viz: "The better player you are the bigger tip opening and harder reed you will play." It is extremely gratifying to see this misinformation fall away.

Now it seems as though there is a general recognition that we should let players be so that they can find what works for them, and judge the results in the sound only.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
It seems like would be good for business. People who have smaller tip vintage pieces can start upping the prices and mouthpiece makers can sell some small tips to a market sort of saturated with the big tips.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. I suppose that human nature being what it is, fashion and fad impact mpc choice as much as clothes, cars, food, and most other interests and endeavors.

2. The influence of the internet is huge. An article in a magazine down the basement of the music department, along with the scuttlebutt in the barroom and backstage talk was about the limit in my day. It was just rumor.

Folk learned that some players had huge tip openings and very high baffles. Decided to check that stuff out. All the dust has started to settle and, after a generation of internet, the average is settling back to something closer to what it was before.

3. Mpc design moves from a) original tiny tip huge chamber to b) medium tip medium chamber to c) huge tip small chamber to d) lots of combinations involving various shapes of floors and chambers ----- Since sax players went from no choice to a million choices, the range available for testing and the operation of fashion popularity gets nearly unlimited.

4.When I was in college there was a dreadful, harmful myth, viz: "The better player you are the bigger tip opening and harder reed you will play." It is extremely gratifying to see this misinformation fall away.

Now it seems as though there is a general recognition that we should let players be so that they can find what works for them, and judge the results in the sound only.

YES!
#4 in particular is right on the money. That type of thinking is nuts. I had a teacher tell me in college that "When I got better chops, I could move up to the bigger tips." Thats pathetic. I have plenty of chops today and I'm moving DOWN!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like would be good for business. People who have smaller tip vintage pieces can start upping the prices and mouthpiece makers can sell some small tips to a market sort of saturated with the big tips.

Hi bro,
I don't see the vintage small tip prices going up, but I believe more guys will try to play on those first, before they jump to get them opened up. There will always be players who like all the sizes.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Overall it seems like a healthy trend. It seems like a lot of guys have it in their heads that bigger is always better. I wonder why that is.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing wrong with the big tips....I played on a 10* for over 2 decades, but man oh man, its a lot of work to sustain that airflow as you get older. It's much easier to go down in tip size and not fight it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No, nothing wrong with big tips. I just feel like a lot of people dismiss the smaller tips right away and don't even experiment to find what works best and sometimes spend years needlessly fighting their setup. I played a florida stm 10* for a few years and loved it, but it wasn't worth all the energy I had to put into it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think this site has done a lot to get people into bigger tips. I'd never come across so many people that played such big tips until I came here. At both music schools I went to there were a few guys on the big tips - guys who played Guardalas etc - but the Link guys seemed to max out at an 8. And I would feel like that what a huge tip.

On this site, people have been saying for years that a 7* is a middle of the road tip, even good to start on as it would only take a short while to get used to.

I'm so glad people are coming back down in size.

I've been playing a 7 for the last 15 years. Its too bad I sold all my 6*s years ago because i'd like to give them a try again.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely.
I had a client come over recently when he was in town, and he had a Robusto 5* metal. I asked if I could play it, and it was just glorious for me. Perfect tip and a huge sound. I think guys feel like if they don't play on a huge tip, they won't get a huge sound, but thats ridiculous. Your sound will be more spread on the bigger tip, but that doesn't necessarily mean bigger or better! :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
is it an aging saxophone population? I am 65 and cannot play much over a 6 - a 7 on a good day, but I do just fine on 5 and 6; probably has to do with dental issues, and I am very happy about it. And sonically I I think it gets me closer to a '50s sound, my favorite era, since those players rarely had more than a 5 or 6.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,706 Posts
In Europe Im finding myself making larger tips.

It does seem to also come in waves.

I do think the aging population is a contributor.

Also less gigs...people are playing in smaller venues, more at home...still 7* ish is the norm but you dont need to bust down the walls with big tipped easts in a small venue or at home.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My biggest tip sizes seem to end up going to Germany and the UK, for some reason.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,706 Posts
Well...remember years back...in the US everyone was going to huge tips. Then it pulled back.

...perhaps its the opposite trend over here.

I still contend that there are some types of pieces that just sound better at small to moderate tips...at least for many players.

Maybe better is not the right word ...just different. But different in a way some people appreciate.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I used to play 8*s, and since I started taking lessons with my current teacher, I've gone down in size and have enjoyed not having to work as hard. Once I'm able to play again, I plan on trying a 7 and maybe even a 6-6*!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I used to play 8*s, and since I started taking lessons with my current teacher, I've gone down in size and have enjoyed not having to work as hard. Once I'm able to play again, I plan on trying a 7 and maybe even a 6-6*!
Do it! :) I can get plenty of volume from my 7.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts