Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try forgetting about the "big names" in your CD collection for a bit and take some time to find out who the veteran players are in your own city or town. You'd never know it, but that "old guy" you saw at the bar was absolutely killing it "in the day" and still has a lot to teach. Knowing about and respecting the older generation of local pros in your area is also a great way to become one yourself.

Decided to post this after watching these videos of some guys from Nova Scotia. Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOzcwFpBk0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkP_rsYjPXw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
This would work if my town of over 250,000 people had a decent music scene. :(

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
For many in my town and era (Melbourne Australia in the 1960s) it WAS the local players who introduced us to the music. Then we got into their influences by finding obscure recordings and they might have slipped a little in our regard. Then we started gigging and playing with those early heroes and pretty soon forgot just how influential they had been.

I make a point now to tell these players how they enriched my life and opened a door to a lifetime of music. Some are a little embarrassed but most take it all pretty well.

One by one we're losing them as mortality catches up. What a pity if they went without knowing who carries a debt of gratitude. We should all make the time to tell the important people in all walks of life about the positive inflence they have been on us.

It doesn't even cost what one reed would cost to say "Hey, maybe you don't know this but you were a huge influence on me when I was starting out and without you I wouldn't be the player I am today."

Go on (if you haven't already done this) give it a try.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
When I first moved to the Chicago area (1988), was amazed at how many great players were around town. To name just a few...saxophonists Bunky Green, Ed Petersen, Steve Eisen, Rob Batchko, Eric Alexander, Lin Halliday, Jeff Newell... guitarists Fareed Haque, Akio Sassajima, Ernie Denov, David Onderdonk... Steve Million, Laurence Hobgood, Howard Levy on piano...

I remember being told a few things like "you don't have to listen only to saxophone players. You can get something from any music you like" "no rule that says you need to play a metal mouthpiece to get a big sound." Most of the guys are pretty approachable and nice. Did get tagged once as a "bop freak" when I was asking one guy some Sonny Rollins. Well, if the shoe fits...

Of course, in Chicago you also get a chance to see "brand name" players as well.

Shawn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
I remember being told a few things like "you don't have to listen only to saxophone players. You can get something from any music you like" "no rule that says you need to play a metal mouthpiece to get a big sound." Most of the guys are pretty approachable and nice. Did get tagged once as a "bop freak" when I was asking one guy some Sonny Rollins. Well, if the shoe fits...
So different from New York. Guess that's why Chicago is no longer a jazz capital :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts