Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I did a quick recording on both necks. Same reed and mouthpiece, and I put a very small amount of reverb on it. I didn't do any EQ'ing.

I'm obviously more used to my own neck, but any thoughts on the Tino? It feels really good, but not sure which sound I prefer.

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's interesting - they feel pretty radically different, although I think you're right, not as much of those differences I hear in real life come through in the recording.

Sounded about the same to me - both good. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
The way I look at this kind of variable, whether horn, neck, mouthpiece or reed, is not so much what the audience would hear but how it makes it better for the player. This is assuming the variable does not introduce any intonation issues. If it changed your sound noticeably you probably aren't going to like it anyway. BTW, I love the SIII tenor necks. Not saying they're the 'end all, be all' but I have two tenors - late MK VI and Selmer USA 164, and a Sterling SIII neck happens to fit both of them perfectly and makes a night and day difference from any other neck including original. Moreover, I just found out today how great it is on the USA where it not only plays great but corrected some intonation issues I was having with the neck I was using.
It is critical when testing any such variable to use a tuner. I have never done this until recently, and I got an app for my phone. The thing works great and its extremely cool to be struggling with intonation when testing a neck or something, then to see it snap in with a different one which BTW just happens to play great too. That will just make your day.
The SIII necks are available in practically any metal/finish you could ask for and they are not expensive.

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
It’s always about what the player feels abd hears and that’s all that matters. I’ve always felt that way.
If the player is happy with what they hear coming out of their horn, then they will play their best. The audience will then in return, get their best, and that’s what it’s all about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts