Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Another health question for you all. When ever I bend my right arm to type, drive, play the sax, piano, etc..........I feel a tingling in my arm and down into my hand. It feels like when your hand goes to sleep. It happens within maybe 30 seconds and it has been almost continuous for the last 3-4 days. I've had pain before but never this tingling and numbness. It might be my imagination but it also seems like I'm not agile in that right hand when this occurs. Yesterday I was playing and was having the toughest time with my right hand during a passage that I wouldn't normally have a problem with. I usually sleep on my right side with my right hand bent and under my pillow most of the night. Anyone have any thoughts on this.........I looked it up on the internet but as usual found that I could have 100 different things going on. Anyone ever have this. Thanks, steve

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Steve,

As you have found it could be any of a hundred things, probably you need to get some tests. I had a similar experience when I was taking statins but this was accompanied by a series of other unpleasant symptoms, fatigue being the most obvious although not the worst. Probably a sax website isn't the place to find the answer but the above is my experience of this.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Steve;
First thing is go to the doctor!
My wife has something that may be similar to your description. She is a hairdresser by trade. Many nights she has to sleep with a brace on her hand/wrist. this is the Carpel tunnel thing. There are also problems like this with regard to a condition known as "thoracic outlet" forgive the spelling I am an Engineer not a doctor. it comes from the shoulder area but can manifest itself in the extremeties.
Either way take care of it before it makes you quit playing. We can't afford to loose good players who are also good teachers.
Good luck
StanB

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,003 Posts
Sleep on your left for a while???

But if it persists...

To the doctor, Steve. I've a friend with similar symptoms except that his left arm is the compromised limb. He has a tumor low and interior in the plumbing of his neck - access is difficult and his doctor is taking a watch-and-see approach.

·
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sleep on your left for a while???

But if it persists...

To the doctor, Steve. I've a friend with similar symptoms except that his left arm is the compromised limb. He has a tumor low and interior in the plumbing of his neck - access is difficult and his doctor is taking a watch-and-see approach.
It's funny you say that. I tried to do that last night and it was one of the worst nights sleep I ever had. I actually don't think I fell asleep.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I get tingling and numbness in my left hand and arm when I drive or when I use my eliptical machine. In both cases my hand is either bent at a very tight angle (eliptical machine) or elevated (driving) and in both cases my hand is resting for a long period of time in one spot. I can eleviate the numbness by lowering my arm and shaking it around, so in my case I think it's a circulation issue. I sleep mainly on my back because it either hurts my neck or shoulder if I sleep on either side. I don't like getting old!:x

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ughh! I hate going to the doctors. It's such a drag.:(
Don't we all - Ring NOW, Go tonight , and get it over with , and have peace of mind!!

Seriously, Delay may be dangerous!

Blowhard2

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
You probably don't drink enough water. Increasing your water intake is the first thing to do when having such problmes. Dehydration is the root cause of any number of problems of this type and no other beverage is an adequate substitute for drinking enough water.

So if you hate doctors and don't drink much water I'd start there...

·
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You probably don't drink enough water. Increasing your water intake is the first thing to do when having such problmes. Dehydration is the root cause of any number of problems of this type and no other beverage is an adequate substitute for drinking enough water.

That might be it. I went to the doctor a few months ago because I was going to the bathroom so much. He checked my prostate and ran all sorts of tests but besides a slightly enlarged prostate found nothing and shrugged his shoulders. Since then I have solved the problem by only drinking water when I feel thirsty. The problem is I never feel thirsty. Maybe I have to find a happy medium........

·
35,003 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
4,993 Posts
Tingling and numbness in the right arm can be a warning sign of a pending heart attack or other serious issue. Like the doctor or not, this is one of those things that you should take seriously and get your butt to the doctor - yesterday. Trust me on this, it is the voice of experience.

Now the chances are good that you will be fine, but, you will feel a hell of a lot better once you know.

·
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tingling and numbness in the right arm can be a warning sign of a pending heart attack or other serious issue. Like the doctor or not, this is one of those things that you should take seriously and get your butt to the doctor - yesterday. Trust me on this, it is the voice of experience.

Now the chances are good that you will be fine, but, you will feel a hell of a lot better once you know.
I thought the heart was always the left arm?

·
35,003 Posts
Tingling and numbness in the right arm can be a warning sign of a pending heart attack or other serious issue.
I believe the warning sign of impending heart attack is tingling in the LEFT arm.

But I do agree that a second opinion from a MEDICAL doctor is indicated - he'll get plenty of first opinions here. ;)

·
Registered
6,520 Posts

That might be it. I went to the doctor a few months ago because I was going to the bathroom so much. He checked my prostate and ran all sorts of tests but besides a slightly enlarged prostate found nothing and shrugged his shoulders. Since then I have solved the problem by only drinking water when I feel thirsty. The problem is I never feel thirsty. Maybe I have to find a happy medium........
I used to have those problems but they are gone gone gone :D:D:D.
I'll send you information directly on why and how.

·
35,003 Posts
Well, I called my doctor and drank a bunch of water. Hopefully it will go away. Thanks everyone.
Thank you, Steve. If you weren't going to listen to me, I was going to threaten to do the exploratory surgery myself! :evil:

All the best to you and yours.

·
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I called my doctor and drank a bunch of water. Hopefully it will go away. Thanks everyone.
Thank you, Steve. If you weren't going to listen to me, I was going to threaten to do the exploratory surgery myself! :evil:

All the best to you and yours.
If it doesn't go away I'll try your coffee and gin idea..........:cool:

1 - 20 of 212 Posts