Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty frustrated with endless messages that my comment couldn't be posted because the token expired. Even when I follow the instructions, go back and refresh I still get this block. I have to go search out the thread in the home page again to post my comment. I wonder why the owner of this forum, whoever it is, doesn't update it with some modern code or move it to a social media platform? This is like driving a horse and buggy on the interstate.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,583 Posts
Pretty frustrated with endless messages that my comment couldn't be posted because the token expired. Even when I follow the instructions, go back and refresh I still get this block. I have to go search out the thread in the home page again to post my comment. I wonder why the owner of this forum, whoever it is, doesn't update it with some modern code or move it to a social media platform? This is like driving a horse and buggy on the interstate.
Yup. There are moderators that try to get things fixed as complaints (continuously) flow in, but in the end it's just poorly managed and there's nothing they can do about it. Not at all their fault. If it's a revenue issue perhaps they should start charging people in the vendors section a monthly advertising rate...some folks are making bank on almost exclusively forum-driven word of mouth advertising and only kicking back token donations at best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I for one would like to see a revamp of the entire thing. The mobile version is sketchy at best. There should be a SOTW app (and I never thought I'd say that but I just got my first good smart phone six months ago a samsung s8) and that would help with a lot of issues if it was thought out.

I understand the marketplace has been a pain in the behind for the moderators as of late. And there was a significant change to the way that works now. I hope that doesn't detour the logical route of finally updating this forum to include everything it needs and run it as an app in your google web browser if you per chance do not still have a smart phone. I could list X amount of games I can both play on my phone and computer that for sure use more memory to access than a forum which is essentially just archives.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Well I don't know.... I've been haunting this place since '06 and don't have any of the problems you've mentioned. As for moving it to a stupid social media platform, hell no. Not all of us succumb to the Zuckerberg experiment.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Been on the forum in it's prior iteration and current for nearly 20 years. Have never had any serious problems technically speaking. I do agree there have been more issues since Harri sold the place, but usually things get resolved. No major issues in ~20 years is pretty impressive IMO.

- Saxaholic

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,028 Posts
I like horses, and I like buggies. I especially like really old motorcycles, like the beautiful Whizzer I saw in Atlanta, IL yesterday or the '30's Indian some guy in my town has.

And I despise the trends in social media platforms; anything to do with google or facebook is a bad move. There's nothing broke enough to need fixing here. Expired tokens? pffft... I just reload the stupid page.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I don't know.... I've been haunting this place since '06 and don't have any of the problems you've mentioned. As for moving it to a stupid social media platform, hell no. Not all of us succumb to the Zuckerberg experiment.
I don't like Facebook either. Trying to avoid that place as much as possible since they started purging people for thought crimes. But still use it for things like fixing up my vintage car. There are many smaller social media forums to work with, and lots of modern code to update this place too. Apparently it works fine for some people but is a frustrating mess for others, like me.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like horses, and I like buggies. I especially like really old motorcycles, like the beautiful Whizzer I saw in Atlanta, IL yesterday or the '30's Indian some guy in my town has.

And I despise the trends in social media platforms; anything to do with google or facebook is a bad move. There's nothing broke enough to need fixing here. Expired tokens? pffft... I just reload the stupid page.
I didn't specifically suggest Facebook. There are many alternatives that don't feed that monster. I am not a programmer but I believe there is modern code you can build your own platform with, and keep your advertising revenue. Reloading the page does not work for me, like I already said. I have to close the page and hunt down the page all over again in the home page list.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been on the forum in it's prior iteration and current for nearly 20 years. Have never had any serious problems technically speaking. I do agree there have been more issues since Harri sold the place, but usually things get resolved. No major issues in ~20 years is pretty impressive IMO.

- Saxaholic
Lucky you. I rarely come here anymore because of the bugs. Besides it's a total pain to upload images, so 1990's. Quite used to copying and pasting them other places.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. There are moderators that try to get things fixed as complaints (continuously) flow in, but in the end it's just poorly managed and there's nothing they can do about it. Not at all their fault. If it's a revenue issue perhaps they should start charging people in the vendors section a monthly advertising rate...some folks are making bank on almost exclusively forum-driven word of mouth advertising and only kicking back token donations at best.
Has anyone done any market research to figure out how to increase the revenue? On a platform like Subscribestar they could charge a subscription fee to sell on the forum and probably make a lot more money. Plus new people avoid antiquated sites like this. If it's running on the fumes of a few banner ads I would say it's time to take it elsewhere. They are probably losing a lot of money by not taking advantage of all the new ways to generate revenue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
This has already gone from being a private donation centered forum to one owned by an company.

The last thing I want this place to be is some twit(ter) of a forum. There is enough advertising and marketing already.

If people avoid the site because of its "Antiquated Format" then I would propose they are more interested in flashy internet bling than saxophone......so let them play elsewhere.

The more this site focuses on revenue the less quality members it will have.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I have two comments.

1) PLEASE DO NOT MOVE TO FACEBOOK!!!!! I do not want to join "surveillancebook" and I'm already brassed-off at a number of commercial companies that require you to do this in order to access what used to be their web site but is now their Facebook site.

2) Please fix the technical problems without moving the forum to Zuckey-land. I don't know how. But things like the "logs me out when moving from page to page" bug that has persisted for months now with absolutely zero useful feedback from IT or improvement, should not go on and on. The moderators do what they can, and their efforts are saluted, but it's the technical people (in India, I bet, and a different one using the same pseudonym and reading the same unhelpful script every time without any actual activity) who are falling far short of reasonable expectations.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I’d just like it if we could upload photos without such frequent problems doing so.

Oh, and i’d Like it if there was a “like” function. Some posts are just so helpful, or funny, they deserve some means of lauding.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm totally with you on all of this.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
View attachment 237490

Wow......that took me about 20 seconds. As for a "like" button? Are you people freaking serious? I guess simply replying to a message and saying something like "hey, that was nice" is too much work?

Sigh...

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
View attachment 237490

Wow......that took me about 20 seconds. As for a "like" button? Are you people freaking serious? I guess simply replying to a message and saying something like "hey, that was nice" is too much work?

Sigh...
Sigh.

I guess you haven’t had the problems I, and apparently others, have had with uploading photos. I’m glad for you.

Regarding a like button, it’s certainly not a necessity but it would enable lots of folks to all indicate they like a post without adding unnecessarily to the numbers of posts in a thread. I doubt we all want to scroll through extra posts which do not substantively add to the discussion.

But I guess I wonder whether you were intentionally trying to be rude or whether it just happens naturally.

Sigh.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Sigh.

I guess you haven’t had the problems I, and apparently others, have had with uploading photos. I’m glad for you.

Regarding a like button, it’s certainly not a necessity but it would enable lots of folks to all indicate they like a post without adding unnecessarily to the numbers of posts in a thread. I doubt we all want to scroll through extra posts which do not substantively add to the discussion.

But I guess I wonder whether you were intentionally trying to be rude or whether it just happens naturally.

Sigh.
Tell me how you're attempting to upload photos.
Maybe I'm just Wile E. Coyote, super freaking genius, but here's my seemingly foolproof way:

See that box on the right (when you start a new post or reply) that says "Go Advanced"? Click it.
You'll now get a dialog box with a bunch of options right above where you type......3 rows of 'em actually.
In the middle row, 6th box from the RIGHT hand side, let your mouse float over it. You'll see it says "Insert Image". Click on it.
You'll then get a pop-up box asking where you'd like to upload your image from (file on your computer or URL). Click "browse" to locate the folder/file/image on your computer/URL.
Then right below that, click "upload file(s)".
You're done.
You're welcome.
Oh and by the way, it comes naturally. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but it also took me some time to figure out how to do this. Once you're here for multiple years, just like anywhere else, you learn how to navigate/use the forum. Trust me. If I can do it, you sure as hell can. ;-)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I generally like the forum's format, even if at times it doesn't work as well as it ought--slow to load, temporary outages, etc. I've mostly zeroed myself out of other social media, and, being verbose, prefer the long form of a real discussion forum like SOTW. And while I do enjoy getting "likes" on Cafe Saxophone, it kinda stresses me out when I forget to "like" others back.

My main concern about SOTW is that it's proprietary rather than open, and could at any moment cease to exist without warning.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.