Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not saying I'm interested in switching; love my VI I've played for 15 years...just want to know your thoughts before I go to my final day of NAMM.

Love to hear as much feedback as possible before tomorrow (Sunday) 10am PST.

Thanks.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
If it was my money I would go for a P.Mauriat 66RUL (it is not necessary that it would be unlacquered but I love the look which sometimes resembles serpentine marble ), Cannonballs are nice too but , I seriously think that the P.Mauriat is superior.

Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
I think both P.Mauriats and cannonballs are good saxophones. The think I found with cannonballs is that when you first pick it up you think, this is great. But then you realise it sounds so good partly because it's that much louder. This then has problems when I try to get a really full dynamic range. maybe it's just me though.

However I agree with milandro, a 66RUL is a truly amazing horn. Try it with a magnum neck especially.

Banned
I agree that both Mauriats and Cannonballs are great saxes. I believe you will find the Mauriats cost a bit more. I would recommend giving the Cannonball Vintage a serious look while you are at NAMM. As a tech, I have reservations about the rolled tone holes on the 66R that was mentioned. The benefits of rolled toneholes with modern pads is questionable, and working to get them level is a real challenge.

Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
I own a Cannonball silver tenor and a buddy owns a 66RUL - agreed that both are nice - but the mauriat blows my cannonball out of the water.

Forum Contributor 2017
Bob Reynolds asking for our opinion, Wow.

I have played the full Cannonball line and the P. Mauriat line and loved both brands. The Cannonballs are slick and play extremely well with a free blowing rock sound especially with the big fat neck. The Mauriat is more of a focused sound much like 10m or early JK IMHO in that PM has a resistance that Cannonball does not which gave me a distinct impression of more color and lush tone than the Cannonball.

I went with something else completely but I stayed away from Cannonball because of the overall appearance being so, well; different. To be truthful the P. Mauriat was priced too high for a Taiwanese saxophone for my tastes anyway.

Don't discount some of the nicer boutique brands, like T.K. Melody, Barone, Tenor Madness etc...

Best luck and let us know what you decide.

B

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
I always find it helpful to bring my own horn with me when I try out new models at shows. Neither brands mentioned here would sway me from a VI tenor, nor my own 10M or Silversonic; and I've test played numerous models of both Mauriat and Cannonball saxophones over the last several years. Mauriats in particular can have a dreadful sound to them if you're ever able to hear them being played by pros, side by side with VI's of their bandmates at a live venue (an experience I had last weekend with a pro I'd heard many times before with his VI before the switch).

Banned
I would think that a much better test would be to have the same pro play the VI and then the other make whatever it is. That way the difference in the sound could be accurately attributed to the instrument itself, not the player's concept or set-up. I also think it is important to remember that judging a player's sound comes down to a matter of taste. Just because the sound of a player on a certain sax and setup does not suit my taste does not make that sound necessarily "bad". The person sitting next to me in the audience may love it.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
I would think that a much better test would be to have the same pro play the VI and then the other make whatever it is. That way the difference in the sound could be accurately attributed to the instrument itself, not the player's concept or set-up.
Well, Bob Reynolds IS a pro.

amazing how many supposedly deaf pro's have made the switch ..............must be something they put in the water or those jet trails!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, all, for this feedback. As I said, I'm not looking to switch. It was more that I've been at NAMM, played the Mauriats, and then yesterday the Cannonballs. At the end of the day everyone's running a business; the vendors at NAMM want people playing their stuff. I'm more than happy with all my current gear. Anyone whose seen my "Greatest Mouthpiece in the World" knows where I stand on chasing gear. However, I'm there, so I'm trying the horns. I just didn't know anything about either brand (other than who is endorsing them). Nice folks at both companies. IMO, nothing can replace the sax you've spent 15+ years bonding with.

I'll let you know after today's visit what my thoughts on some of these horns are. But of course, they will only be my thoughts and probably have little crossover to other individuals. We are all different and experience gear differently.

Thanks everyone,
Bob

............. We are all different and experience gear differently...............
those words should be sculpted in the granite of SAXONTHEWEB portal

Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
I've never played a Mauriat but every Cannonball I've played has been rather sharp in the upper register. I've probably played 5 altos and 3 tenors and all of them were sharp. Hopefully they have fixed that issue by now.
Remember when the guy from Cannonball came here and said the stones improve intonation? Maybe the horns you tried just needed their stones exchanged...

Registered
I played a vintage Cannonball tenor last week,wow,it was a Great horn,really quite different from any other Cannonball model I've tried,the action was nice,but the tone was extraordinary.Vintage Cannonball tenor,check it out.

Distinguished SOTW Member
I've never played a Mauriat but every Cannonball I've played has been rather sharp in the upper register. I've probably played 5 altos and 3 tenors and all of them were sharp. Hopefully they have fixed that issue by now.
When I first got my Cannonball alto and soprano, I was very happy with both of them in general. I noticed some intonation problems in the upper register of both, but assumed that it was just a matter of me adjusting to the horns since I had previously played mostly Mark VI's. Two or three years later, I've come to realize that it wasn't a matter of adjusting. Both my Cannonball alto and soprano are indeed uncomfortably sharp in the upper register as Nefertiti mentioned. I "can" play them in tune, but it takes much more effort than it should. I know they can be adjusted to correct that problem, but my resources are limited and I haven't been able to do it yet. When I can get enough money saved up I plan to let Curt Altarac take care of them for me since his MusicMedic shop is located about 5 minutes from my house.

The bottom line though is that my Cannonballs were NOT tuned as well as they should have been when they left the factory. I'm still happy with them overall. I know they can be adjusted easily enough. I just think it should have been done before they left the factory instead of on my dime.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
I was at the show the last two days. The Cannonball models I played had clearly superior keywork to the Mauriats. Other than that, they're both good horns.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts