Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I currently use a Yamaha 4C custom ebonite mouthpiece. My teacher brought some of his mouthpieces for me to try, and I found the Selemer S80 D to be much easier to use than my 4C. I wonder if this indicates that I'm "ready" for the larger tip opening of the D? Should I start using the Selmer D if I find it easier to use, or am I missing something by not sticking it out on the 4C and progressing slowly?

Thanks alot.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
What's your teacher telling you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I moved from Yamaha 4 mouthpieces to a Jody Jazz HR* 6, and I didn't find it too big a transition. By all means ask your teacher, but you could also take your sax to a shop and try a few out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I'm thinking that if the teacher brought some mouthpieces for ZiCheng to try, then there is an implied recommendation for ZiCheng to "upgrade" ("change" may be a better word for it).

And by all means, make the change if you think the D plays better for you. Many of us have gone through that - constantly changing to find what works best.

I know there is a school of thought that says "run what you brung", but I believe in change, especially if you find something better. I've been playing 50+ years and often find something that works better. Just because you like what you have now doesn't mean there may be something better out there. DAVE

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I'm the one who asked him about getting a new mouthpiece, and he brought some for me to try. He offered to let me borrow the Selmer D, and I think I'm going to take him up on that offer. Thanks for the responces.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if it sounds better why not go with it.

My used yamaha alto (yas-23) came with the standard yamaha mouthpiece. It is an absolute piece of junk. Maybe it got deformed in a hot attic or someone messed with it (looks ok but looks are deceiving) but anyway just because it says Yamaha doesn't mean it's a great mouthpiece

1 - 7 of 7 Posts