Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was practicing long tones with the mouthpiece and neck and it was screeeeeching. It only screeches when I am finishing the tone. I tried using my current reed and two new ones and I encounter the same problem. However, when I put the mouthpiece on the saxophone the screeching is 99% gone. So I'm assuming it's not the horn.

Do mouthpieces break and need replacing? Or is this something else you can think of?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
No offense intended, but it sounds like a user-related issue, not an equipment problem.........daryl

·
2,892 Posts
BTW, what's up with playing long tones with the mouthpiece and neck? Why not play them with the whole instrument or with just the mouthpiece?.....daryl

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:? I don't know why just mouthpiece and neck. My last teacher included it as a warm-up for each practice. Hold for at least 10 seconds each time...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,962 Posts
This sounds like it's the weather. You live in Florida, where it's hot and humid, and high humidity can put reeds through hell.

I doubt your sax was having a bad reed day, but your reeds might have been having a bad reed day.

·
2,892 Posts
dirty said:
This sounds like it's the weather. You live in Florida, where it's hot and humid, and high humidity can put reeds through hell.

I doubt your sax was having a bad reed day, but your reeds might have been having a bad reed day.
:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts