Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tim Price -Ryan Anselmi Soulful Tenor Madness. At the GARAGE NYC July 16th-99 7th Avenue South 10:30

The New York jazz press has remarked that , "this is one of the most authentic and funky jazz bands on today's scene-the caliber of which is a rare find in jazz today." See you there

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job Tim! Had a great time.
BIG FUN...Thanks for the hang.

Saturday in NYC we had a great gig. The3ed tune of the first set I called "Yesterdays" by Jerome Kern. One my my favorite tunes. After my solo, I heard a familiar voice next to me. BOB MOVER!! He wanted to play "Yesterdays " with me.
Bob comes up- we immediately get into a counterpoint between the two of us. Inspiration and deep mutual respect ( I know Bobby sense 1970!) take hold and it is on!!
Bob wanted to sit in on a few tunes, the vibe n the bandstand/music was right there for him.He asked " Tim is it ok if I blow some more?"...I said play as much as you want Bobby. HE HUNG ALL NIGHT AND PLAYED TILL 3:00 WITH US. Kim Garey, Ryan Anselmi and Kerong Chok all had a great inspirational time on Saturday.
What we do what we do which also involves WHY we do it and that is tricky because it demands continuing self explortion and that is not always easy, but playing is the most vital step to the why and how.

I've known Bob Mover from 1970 on....this is a great thing when you can play and share on the bandstand. It's what what I strive for...and sometghing that CAN NOT be taught in a classroom or book or internet " Everything you need to know about jazz, but didn't ask" package. It's a shared life long experience. THANKS BOB MOVER...he is a beautiful human being/life long friend.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You guys were hot last Saturday! Didn't even realize the SOTW connection (although I've read plenty of your posts on SOTW) until afterward... I picked the show from Hothouse based on timing, it being in the village (as I also wanted to check out the jam at Smalls...), and the promise of the name "Tenor Madness"...and wow... you and Ryan were smokin', Bob Mover was a great addition, and what a great rhythm section! Really liked Kerong Chok's solos on organ (he could stand to turn up the volume a bit though, 'cause we want to hear it all!), and Kim is one fabulous, kickin' drummer! Kudos to you all, and I'll be checking for you again next time I'm in NYC...

Incidentally the crab/lobster cake and the wine ("Artisan" Zinfandel) at the Garage were quite good too... a nice surprise as I usually don't expect much from food at a jazz club...

They have a nice setup for a club too... good sightlines to the bandstand.

By the way, what tenors were you and Ryan playing? His looked pretty vintage, and had a great, burnished but powerful tone... Not a Buescher 400, by any chance? Yours sounded a bit brighter, straight ahead with a solid Dexter kind of thing to it... together, a great combination of tenor sounds.

Keep on blowin'!

Howard

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys were hot last Saturday! Didn't even realize the SOTW connection (although I've read plenty of your posts on SOTW) until afterward... I picked the show from Hothouse based on timing, it being in the village (as I also wanted to check out the jam at Smalls...), and the promise of the name "Tenor Madness"...and wow... you and Ryan were smokin', Bob Mover was a great addition, and what a great rhythm section! Really liked Kerong Chok's solos on organ (he could stand to turn up the volume a bit though, 'cause we want to hear it all!), and Kim is one fabulous, kickin' drummer! Kudos to you all, and I'll be checking for you again next time I'm in NYC...

Incidentally the crab/lobster cake and the wine ("Artisan" Zinfandel) at the Garage were quite good too... a nice surprise as I usually don't expect much from food at a jazz club...

They have a nice setup for a club too... good sightlines to the bandstand.

By the way, what tenors were you and Ryan playing? His looked pretty vintage, and had a great, burnished but powerful tone... Not a Buescher 400, by any chance? Yours sounded a bit brighter, straight ahead with a solid Dexter kind of thing to it... together, a great combination of tenor sounds.

Keep on blowin'!

Howard

~ HOWARD....thanks for listening. I appreciate the kind words a lot. To me music is a means of knowledge and strength,an exercise in freedom. The meeting points in my agenda : predecessors named Hawkins, Prez, Jug and DEXTER to name a few of the many, along with the Blues idiom. This meeting place in the music with Ryan, and my associats is a unique opportunity to explore the common language of Jazz while searching for new ground.

Ryan uses a Keilwerth he had since high school- and- THE STOCK MOUTHPIECE THAT CAME WITH IT. :)

The tenor I prefer is the silver Serie3...you heard that night. The mouthpiece is a Theo Wanne DATTA that Theo opened up a lil' more for me. The tip is a around 130- with a special roll over baffle to get the shape nice n' round and big. With a Rico unfiled 3M. That way, I can get the deeper aspects of the round chamber with as you said " a bit brighter" , " With a solid Dexter kind of thing to it" . I appreciate your ears and kind words.

OH- Bob Mover and I go back to all night jam sessions as teenagers in Boston. I was thrilled when Bob showed up and hung, played all night. Aside from jumping in and out to enjoy the good food which you were right about. There was a counterpoint thing, we did on " Yesterdays"
( by Kern) that I wish I recorded. ( Yes I need a ZOOM! Its on the way- I get into to many things like this that are important and special- Saturday was one of them.) In dropping Mover off after the gig we spoke about so many guys and sessions that we were involved in with unsung guys on thru Sal Nistico, Tommy Turrentine and so many. YES LAST SATURDAY WAS SPECIAL. Glad you could enjoy that moment and sonic memento.

Next time your in the city, stop by, I owe you a beer! Your words via the " Dexter" nod towards my sound were appreciated as I did a mini sonic overhaul on my sound switching to Theo's pieces and going back into a rounder core within the sound, and all that. :mrgreen:

THANK YOU HOWARD! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts