1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
The phil and quill stuff i shedded alot in my college days.

Man oh man, were they great together!

Quill is an unsung hero.

Thanks for reminding me that i need to listen to him tonight.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10m....I KNEW YOU WERE A QUILL FAN........lol..........I JUST KNEW IT :)

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
I am a huuuuuge quill fan, and phil is my man on alto.

Our friend steve golden in vegas use to do gigs with gene in atlantic city many years ago.

He said his sound was huge in person.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT OF GENE AS A PERFECT MIX BETWEEN PHIL AND ART PEPPER.

No surprise that you love him too! :)

We have good taste! Lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gene Quill. Wish we had more of him.
Man what a beautiful sound. Just goes straight to my heart.
Such a great band. Love all those cats. Dick Sherman, Dick Katz, Teddy Kotick and Osie Johnson.
And then Gene and Phil. Wow.
Incredible. Thank you Tim.
So much music so little time.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel the GENE QUILL records....and the FOUR ALTO records and PHIL TALKS with Quill records CRUSH 75% of everything coming out today.

That music that meant something,and means so much more today!! Musical acts of Love. I would love to hear guys play today with a 2011 perspective with an AGENDA like the cats of this era.
There would be a positive message in that music.

Knowing Quills SOUND and the way he defined his ideas....is a huge lesson.To much intellectualism these days!! Call a tune like " GOOD BAIT" and just play.

Ya know there's no money in the music unless the industry people anoint you as the next chosen one. Gene Quill was BEYOND anything any industry guy could deal with. Ditto his peers like Stein and Woods. Music for musics sake.

Quill had a SOUND man....a sound that you'll never forget.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
AMEN TO THAT!

YOU SAID, "PHIL TALKS with Quill records CRUSH 75% of everything coming out today".

I STRONGLY DISAGREE, TIM------------I'D SAY 99.99999% BETTER THAN ANY OF THE STUFF COMING OUT TODAY! :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
"Phil Talks With Quill" is one of the first Phil Woods recordings I bought. Such intensity from both players! "Dear Old Stockholm" is one of the first Phil Woods' solos I transcribed. Years later I turned it into a big band arrangement harmonizing Phil's solo a la Supersax.

Phil has a number of good Quill stories. I like the one where Quill is coming off the bandstand and someone snidely says to him, "Gene Quill, all you're doing is imitating Charlie Parker". Quill unhooks his alto and extends it towards the smartass and says, "Here -- you imitate Charlie Parker"

Over the years I think I've collected most of Quill's recorded output. He inspires me everytime! I think I'll listen to a little "The Ballad of Tappan Zee" with Johnny Richards.

- Scooby

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS FELLAS...I love Quill. They way he plays. His edge and how he uses that EDGE in the sound. He defines something along with many others from his day.

I also wanted to pull the younger generations coat tails to him and how Quill IS playing from his influences, from where he was coming from, and from the influences around him. I wanted to focus on his incredible playing on recordings you can STILL find. LISTEN TO HIS APPROACH.....And how he opens them up and turn them inside out in a way to create his own melodic and rhythmic variations. You can’t tell someone else’s story!! Quill is a perfect example of this. Guys under 40 need to come face to face with this kinda history on the horn. To explore within! This blog was my my humble attempt to shed light on this in my own way. In that case. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

THANKS, And keep on. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Nice one Tim!

I've got to join in here-love Quill. Phil talks with Quill was my first Phil Woods record. I'd love to have seen them gig together. Recently I've been listening to 'Three bones and a Quill'

Gene always sounds like such a rhythmic player and plays more 'punchy' than Phil on those records. I always found them fairly easy to tell apart on those records with Phil playing longer, flowing lines.

I play a lot with Bob Martin. His Dad was friends with Quill. Bob basically spent his childhood in the back of the car while they ferried Gene around to Gerry Mulligan gigs. No surprise that Bob is so steeped in alto history, I've never met anyone as clued up as him.

Jamie O'D

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice one Tim!

I've got to join in here-love Quill. Phil talks with Quill was my first Phil Woods record. I'd love to have seen them gig together. Recently I've been listening to 'Three bones and a Quill'

Gene always sounds like such a rhythmic player and plays more 'punchy' than Phil on those records. I always found them fairly easy to tell apart on those records with Phil playing longer, flowing lines.

I play a lot with Bob Martin. His Dad was friends with Quill. Bob basically spent his childhood in the back of the car while they ferried Gene around to Gerry Mulligan gigs. No surprise that Bob is so steeped in alto history, I've never met anyone as clued up as him.

Jamie O'D
WOW~~ BOB MARTIN. Glad to hear his name and_KNOW_he's being appreciated for what he does. Beautiful!!
I really dig him, being a guy who is not far from Atlantic City NJ, and knowing the scene there. I appreciate that and I heard Bob many times with Buddy too.

QUILL....you nailed it. I heard a tape of Quill in the late 60's and his sound was MASSIVE.

Thank you so much :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Beautiful. That's the essence of alto sax right there............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts