Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In rather sad news, dutch saxophonist Ties Mellema has had an accident where he has cut his wrist. This has resulted in a severing of his ulner nerve, a tendon and an artery. As a result all of his and the Amstel Quartet's upcoming concerts have been cancelled. The road to recovery may be quite long for Ties, and I just want to wish him all the best in his efforts to get back to playing the saxophone. For more information on Ties injury go to his website www.tiesmellema.nl

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow. That sucks. I've actually severed my ulna nerve in my right arm. This was the year before I started playing sax but if I remember correctly, it took many months (if not, a year) until I had feeling in my ring and pinky fingers. And that was without any trauma to my tendons or arteries like Ties has. Ouch.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Shocked and sad to hear this. To me, Ties is one of today's best and most sensitive saxophonists, one of the rare ones who can execute at the highest level on each voice.

It would be a nice gesture if those of us who have appreciated the benefit of his fine contributions as a performer, recording artist, and friend, each might send him a nice email in support of a full and speedy recovery.

We should flood his inbox with well wishes.

Angel

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
At least he is left-handed and the accident occured to his rIght hand. Even if he doesn't regain total control and his ring finger and pinkie move together he should have a good chance at playing again.
Probably the best physical rehab would be playing the sax.

·
Registered
224 Posts
wow. that sucks. nothing could suck more for a musician; going blind makes you better; going deaf...je ne sais pas, but losing control of fingers? no famous dudes that i know of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
He seems very optimistic in my recent communications with him. It's a big shock to everyone including me. I received this news hours after I found out last week that I will be moving to Amsterdam in September courtesy of a Fulbright Fellowship. My teacher? Ties of course. Strange how things work out... I still plan on studying with him (and hanging out with the Amstel guys) for the duration of the grant and hope that things do indeed work out. As Angel said, he's one of the most sensitive saxophonist I've heard, extremely nice and one of the hardest working out there.

Mike
www.mstraus.net

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is very unfortunate. Ties Mellema is an extraordinary musician, and it would be such a pity if this was an end to his career.

I intend to send him an e-mail, as Angel suggested, and I strongly encourage others to follow suit.

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Sopranino, C Melody, Clari, Bass Clari, Flute
137 Posts
I've heard his recordings and am truly blown away with his playing. He is an extraordinary saxophonist and musician. My thoughts go out to him and I wish him all the best for a smooth recovery.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I broke my left pinky last summer, and after about 1 month Ic an play the saxophone again but not well at all. I had to go back to all the basics, but most importantly, I had to work back my finger dexterity, but the problem was that my pinky was very very very very weak.. I mean when I play an A scale with the G#.. it tires my pinky so much.. also whent he bone break the nerves also broke too so it had to regrow but it's not numb on the tip. Nowdays, I just have to conclude some pinky exercises when I warm up, and be extra careful and practice even longer for phrases or licks that require alot of switches between G#s and Gs. A Full recovery is unliekly, but a 90% recovery is very possible,and the rest are going to be more practice to smaller the Gap so it'll be 100%.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I broke my left pinky last summer, and after about 1 month Ic an play the saxophone again but not well at all. I had to go back to all the basics, but most importantly, I had to work back my finger dexterity, but the problem was that my pinky was very very very very weak.. I mean when I play an A scale with the G#.. it tires my pinky so much.. also whent he bone break the nerves also broke too so it had to regrow but it's not numb on the tip. Nowdays, I just have to conclude some pinky exercises when I warm up, and be extra careful and practice even longer for phrases or licks that require alot of switches between G#s and Gs. A Full recovery is unliekly, but a 90% recovery is very possible,and the rest are going to be more practice to smaller the Gap so it'll be 100%.
Last year I snapped my right wrist in half, and broke my pinky on that hand in two places. I was in a cast for 6 weeks for the wrist, and in a splint for the pinky for a few extra weeks after that. The pinky recovery is slow! Thankfully mine was on my right hand which isn't as important as the left. I've just finished 12 months of physio on the finger. It's good enough for sax now but not aesthetically pleasing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.