Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not the right section for this but i really need an answer. my thumb rest on my selmer mark VI Broke off. i have all the pieces and screws but was wondering if it can be repaired?

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
what part broke, the hook itself, or the base that is soldered to the body snapped off.. if its the hook just buy a new hook... if its the base, that can just be soldered back on.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
You are correct, that wasn't the correct forum for this. I have moved it, and would ask you to please follow the forum rules and guidelines by posting in the correct category next time.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
All of the parts can be repaired or replaced. You and your tech will have to decide which is the most cost effective and least time consuming proceedure to go with. Without seeing the repair, I would guess that repair is likely to be the best option.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
OMG... You can fix thumbrests that have fallen off?!?!?!?!!! :shock:

NOW YOU TELL ME! That sure would have saved me from going out and getting a 'new' sax every time mine fell off.... :faceinpalm: :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Your local tech should be able to put everything back just as it was without any difficulty.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
PM Woodwinds sells lacquered brass metal thumb hooks for Selmers, $24. 95.
Pics on the website.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts

NOW YOU TELL ME! That sure would have saved me from going out and getting a 'new' sax every time mine fell off.... :faceinpalm: :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Your local tech should be able to put everything back just as it was without any difficulty.
OK, Have your laugh.(Could I have all of those horns you replaced?) But the terminology he used was thumb rest "broke off". To assume that the thumb rest mount came unsoldered is quite possibly incorrect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Very funny, we dont sdee humour in this section very often, shame on you

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
OK, Have your laugh.(Could I have all of those horns you replaced?) But the terminology he used was thumb rest "broke off". To assume that the thumb rest mount came unsoldered is quite possibly incorrect.
The OPs' tech should be able to put everything back even if it was more than just the solder failing.
Replacement thumb rests are readily available for most makes and models.
I didn't realize soldering one on was a major issue.

I'm sorry if I was offensive by inserting a bit of "Stupid Girl Humour" into an otherwise very serious thread.

@slausonm, I've only had 1 thumbrest fail, and that was on my Buffet clarinet. I was able to purchase a replacement and attach it all by myself with no difficulty.
You can't have the horn though. It's been bequeathed to my eldest daughter.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I didn't take offense. I fixed a clarinet thumb rest yesterday. I've also fixed many things that I've said to my self, how the heck did they break that! The flute my mother gave me in the 5th grade along with the loving words., "If you dent it I'll kill you" still looks the same as the day she gave it to me almost 40 years ago. I really don't know how some of these things like thumb rests detaching happen, but I fix a lot of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts