Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As such I am as untrained a voice as you can have. As an experiment, I took my timing app and did a blind test of humming a chromatic and was able to hum a chromatic for seven steps between 0 cents and 20 cents sharp.
I'm also in the "I haven't sung since childhood" camp. Sounds like there are a lot of us. I just tried humming a chromatic scale into the tuner, and while the tuner at least recognized the pitches and showed them to me in the proper order, I have some work to do to get to a 20-cent band around each note! I did take voice lessons once for a few months when my job put me in a position where I knew I would have to sing, and got better with pitch for a while. But my ear isn't naturally particularly discriminating, which I'm hoping isn't a fatal flaw when it comes to playing music. In high school my sax quartet won some awards, so at least at some times in my life I've been able to work at it and develop some sense of pitch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It says a bari mouthpiece should be at concert D. When I started playing again my pitch on my mouthpiece was around a F.
Thanks for suggesting this. I tried it. I didn't have the post open at the time, and I remembered "voicing too high" and "F", so I spent about five minutes trying to figure out how the @#[email protected]!! to get a concert F out of my mouthpiece (Yamaha 5C)! But of course you actually said that it should be "D".

So what do you make of this? With my usual embouchure and a fairly neutral throat, I'm getting somewhere between concert A and B. If I madly think "eeeee", I can just barely get it to a D. So am I voicing too low?

I think that the sooner that you could start incorporating some of Liebman/Anderson’s drills into your daily practice the better, as far as improving your overall tone is concerned. Improved intonation will be just one of the benefits.
Thanks for the course/book suggestions, @billpf ! I'll check those out!

·
Registered
Yanigasawa S-6 soprano, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto; Selmer Mk VI Tenor; Martin Committee III Baritone
189 Posts
Thanks for suggesting this. I tried it. I didn't have the post open at the time, and I remembered "voicing too high" and "F", so I spent about five minutes trying to figure out how the @#[email protected]!! to get a concert F out of my mouthpiece (Yamaha 5C)! But of course you actually said that it should be "D".

So what do you make of this? With my usual embouchure and a fairly neutral throat, I'm getting somewhere between concert A and B. If I madly think "eeeee", I can just barely get it to a D. So am I voicing too low?

Put more mouthpiece in your mouth and blow harder.

·
Registered
A: king zephyr martin HC 1 T: 1970 Mark VI, 1985 Buffet S1, 1935 Martin HC 1 B: 1973 Buffet SDA lowA
488 Posts
Put more mouthpiece in your mouth and blow harder.
Good suggestion. This could be a big problem with all saxophones. Take a sheet of 29# printer paper and slip between reed and mouthpiece where it stops is how much mouthpiece you should have in you mouth.

with a baritone this feels like you are undergoing a sadistic dental procedure since your jaw is open fairly wide

·
Registered
A: king zephyr martin HC 1 T: 1970 Mark VI, 1985 Buffet S1, 1935 Martin HC 1 B: 1973 Buffet SDA lowA
488 Posts

Was this A Concert (C) or A in Eb. If A in Eb you are at a concert C so pretty close. For vintage Baris this is actually probably the right pitch. My Martin Bari is falling off the end of the neck if the pitch is too high. The thing was design to played with a pickle barrel mouthpiece afterall.

For modern baris you would want to be probably pitched higher. They have much lower truncation volumes. As I recall you said you are lashed pretty far onto the cork.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Was this A Concert (C) or A in Eb. If A in Eb you are at a concert C so pretty close. For vintage Baris this is actually probably the right pitch. My Martin Bari is falling off the end of the neck if the pitch is too high. The thing was design to played with a pickle barrel mouthpiece afterall.

For modern baris you would want to be probably pitched higher. They have much lower truncation volumes. As I recall you said you are lashed pretty far onto the cork.
I had the tuner set to Concert, so I was in the Concert A-B range. I'm playing a modern Taiwanese-made store-branded rental horn. I'll try it out again and double-check the tuner settings to be sure!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,909 Posts
I've always done things the dumb clarinet girl way. I used my ears, and as far as I can remember the adjustments to playing in tune just kind of came without really thinking about it. 🤷

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The app is called intonation station was a couple of dollars.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
How can i do it with Tonal Energy tuner?
To make a drone of any note you long-press on the note and it will keep playing until you click on it again
Font Screenshot Clock Measuring instrument Circle

make sure to select a sound you want to hear on the “sound” page, as well as match the transposition to your instrument
Light Font Screenshot Gadget Software

Also there’s this option which will drone along to whatever note you play until you stop or change notes which can be interesting to mess with. (You may want to wear headphones when playing along with this.)
Light Product Font Red Screenshot

·
Registered
128 Posts
that's cool! I have the app and I didn't knew about this option thanks!

To OP, I kinda went that road too when I restarted playing without my "classical" embouchure.

What helped me was two books , the one from Dave Liebmann and the one from Ben Britton, I highly recommand it.

Also, there are some nice videos from Dave too on this subject that are worth looking:

·
Registered
6 Posts
To make a drone of any note you long-press on the note and it will keep playing until you click on it again
View attachment 127446
make sure to select a sound you want to hear on the “sound” page, as well as match the transposition to your instrument
View attachment 127447
Also there’s this option which will drone along to whatever note you play until you stop or change notes which can be interesting to mess with. (You may want to wear headphones when playing along with this.)
View attachment 127448
Not how to make a drone. I want to make a chart

21 - 35 of 35 Posts