1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
Frankly speaking only judging by their looks the silver one (I have a silver one too...so I am bias!) looks the best to me.
If you lived around Holland-Europe, I know a shop with a beautiful one for 2000 euros..... :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
I'd also go with the USA Horn silver. The Saxquest one looks like it's had a lot of play time on it. The brass and woodwind is a relaq maybe???

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think older VIIs have the edge but they changed so much over the six years of production you really must play it before you buy it. I recently played a VII tenor that looked like it had been in a fire. It was glorious - free blowing, beautiful sound and intonation and one of the nicest tenors I've ever played. If the price had been right (it was a repairer/dealer sale at £1,600 - $3,200US) I would have bought it. About 25% too much here in UK. Appearance does matter. It sounds obvious,but don't buy it if it looks great but plays like a dog. This is more likely with VIIs than some other models.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
the USA Horn silver VII "looks" nice, they have a good reputation too; best to try it though. It might could be arranged if you talk with them. do you know the price?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
I think you should be V. carefull about paying big $ for Mk7's. particullarly tenors I think that among those of us that have 8 inch lefthand pinkie spread hands it is fine, but for us normal folk..................!
Even on Alto, I have difficulty with bottom B and Bb.
Even so my 7 Alto is a HUGH sounding horn.
If you are not bothered about low C# to Bb go for it.(any of them)
Cheers, Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
I think, if original, go with the 278 from Canada. Looks like it hasn't been played to death and the neck looks good.
I had one of these when I was a freshman in college. Really, they're not bad horns. Helps if you have large hands, however.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Either of the first two look good. I would say the USA horn tenor looks the best physically. The VII tenors are nice and very unique in terms of an offering from Selmer. Big and bold tone. The table keys can be a challenge - in fact that's why I got rid of mine. A guy I play with bought one in France and he has what I would term a transitional horn. It doesn't have the huge pinky table and basically plays like a late VI.

I have heard that Randy Jones can switch out the table keys. I haven't verified that with him though. Had I known it was possible to make the change I would probably still have the VII I had.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I kind of like the look of that saxquest horn. 2400 bucks doesn't even seem that bad. But I have small hands, and while I have played some VII altos which I had no trouble with, the tenor makes me wonder if I could even reach anything on the table keys. I wish I could try out that saxquest horn though, I kind of like it, it has personality.

·
32,944 Posts
I cannot believe that Overton is perpetuating the "Strip 'em, Dano" mentality.

Given that price range, why not a Serie III? Why the interest in Mk VII?

·
32,944 Posts
I've seen them here at SotW for low $2k - sold one myself. They've been 'round for 10 years or so by now and are occasionally available for a reasonable price.

It's a matter of saving the money BEFORE the horn becomes available - not the latter. ;) Great horns at good prices tend to sell quickly. Of course, you can always put out a "Serie III tenor wanted" ad...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Rory, I don't remember where in Canada you live.
I was in Toronto in mid April and Long and McQuade of Bloor St. has a truly wonderful MVII for 2600 or 2800 CAD (don't remember for sure), sn is 265K or so and it's fully engraved. I didn't blow on it since I wanted to avoid temptations (I have already way too many tenors) but it looked and felt as good as it comes..

I'd check that for sure if you are around Toronto (abd perhaps also if you aren't).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts